Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for schematics of simple volume controler

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwordFish

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
volume control

Hi,
I need a schematic of a simple volume circuit. I need it for my power amplifier. It will be nice not to have fancy IC's and complicated digitaly potentiometers.

THX.

rehostat

Do you want a manual control or one from some digital device. You usually have two choices. A tapped resistor can be used as an attenuator at the input or as a control for the feedback and gain. This latter has problems with stability if it goes over a large range of gain. A JFET can be used as a variable resistor which can be controlled manually or from a DAC.

You can use ds1669 in your application, i think ds1669 is the best solution!

Hi.
Some usable circuits for this application:
Dallas :
DS 1267 (256 steps, dip14)
DS 1802 (64 steps, dip22) i've used this one : very good.

NS:
LM1972N (Log, dip22)

Philips
TDA 1074AN

You can search for XICOR, they have a large variety of num. pots.

Is the above DS1868 IC a Dallas one ?

The request for something simple that did not need digital IC, etc.

The simplest solution is the oldest solution, just use an audio taper potentiometer across the input to your power amplifier - use two (ganged if you wish) if you have a stereo amp. No need to get too fancy. Just be sure the pots are mounted internally to the chassis/shields so you don't pick up hum from ambient room lighting power sources.

re

House_Cat said:
The request for something simple that did not need digital IC, etc.

The simplest solution is the oldest solution, just use an audio taper potentiometer across the input to your power amplifier - use two (ganged if you wish) if you have a stereo amp. No need to get too fancy. Just be sure the pots are mounted internally to the chassis/shields so you don't pick up hum from ambient room lighting power sources.

Your solution is simple but the signal path goes through the potentiometer. And because of that any noise produced by the movement of the potentiometer will be added to the signal. I refer here at the noise produced by the movement of the cursor of the potentiometer, especially on old potentiometers. On the other side the digitaly solution with IC is not so good because of my limitated space that I have. All the volume control circuit must have only 10mmX10mmX30mm.
Thats why I am not very happy about IC's.

Status
Not open for further replies.