Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for schematic of PIC or AVR with I2C

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.kivela

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I2C and pic

Hi

I am making home automation with I2C.
Is this good idea?
Have anybody something schematic of PIC or AVR with I2C ?

Re: I2C and pic

I have some objections as far as distance in I2C is concerned.
Read this:

Question: What is the maximum distance of the I2C bus?
This depends on the load of the bus and the speed you run at. In typical applications, the length is a few meters (9-12ft). The maximum capacitive load has been specified (see also the electrical Spec's in the I2C FAQ). Another thing to be taken into account is the amount of noise picked up by long cabling. This noise can disturb the signal transmitted over the bus so badly that it becomes unreadable.

The length can be increased significantly by running at a lower clock frequency. One particular application - clocked at about 500Hz - had a bus length of about 100m (300ft). If you are careful in routing your PCB's and use proper cabling (twisted pair and/or shielded cable), you can also gain some length.

If you need to go far at high speed, you can use an active current source instead of a simple pull-up resistor. Philips has a standalone product for this purpose. Using a charge pump also reduces "ghost signals" caused by reflections at the end of the bus lines.
I2C bus is used within your TV set, DVD player but not in whole installations such as your house. As mentioned above you can slow down clock, you can do this or that ..
I personally would use RS-485 differential signal which is commonly used in industrial applications and is designed for longer distances and you can connect several (standard say up to 32) devices (transceivers) to the same twisted pair.
You can even connect your PC to monitor this line or be a part of the whole system .. read here more about RS-485 differential bus: **broken link removed**

hai

ianp is correct i think
because the distance is the main consideration
best go for RS232 or RS485

I2C and pic

Home automation with I2C is not a good idea, to get the most of the technology, study the X10 protocol.

I2C and pic

What about ethernet?

Why not using Wirelless ZigBee. Why should you have cables?

Regards!

Status
Not open for further replies.