Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for papers discussing ridged horn antenna design

Status
Not open for further replies.

vfurlan

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
design horn antenna

Hi
I'm interested in ridged horn antenna design but I can't find any papers describeing ridge dimensions. Can you help me?
I read a lot about a paper "Broadband ridged horn design" K.L. Walton, V.C. Sundberg, Microwave Journal, March 1964, but I can't find it anywere.
Can you post it, or maybe help my in some other way.
Thank you

design double ridged horn antenna

look for

C Burns, P. Leuchtmann, R. Vahldieck, “Analysis and Simulation of a 1-18GHz Broadband Double-Ridge Horn Antenna,” IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol 45, No 1, pp 55-60, Feb 2003.

pl

Re: Ridged horn antenna

I am also interested to the paper "Broadband ridged horn design",
but in other papers there is not any good information for design of ridge horn,
maybe optimization can help you and me!

Re: Ridged horn antenna

What do you mean with optimization?

Hi,

I am working on design double ridge horn antenna with two feed points, where The inner conductor of the first coaxial probe pass through the first
ridge and is then connected to the opposite ridge. The shield of the coaxial probe is connected to the lower ridge. and the same thing for the second prob as shown in the attachment. maybe someone ask why I put in the design two feed points? in order to to apply balanced feed on the antenna ( Gaussian pulses ( positive pulse and negative pulse, where both pulses are in the same phase).
but the problem in the design is the isolation between the feed ports, for example I still have 5 dB isolation between the feed ports.

if there is anyone has idea how to improve the isolation between the ports

Attachments

• DRHA_.jpg
    DRHA_.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 96

A couple of questoins. Why do you think there would be isolation? Are you actually feeding the two cables differentially with the exact same signal but 180 degrees shifted on one?

If you really want to differentially feed you need the two coax shields coming from the end of the waveguide short circuit, with the two pins stiking out. Then you need a small gap between the back short and where the two ridges start. The two coaxial center pins bridge that gap and feed each of the 2 ridges.

I would not expect there to be any isolation between the two though, that is not a requirement for differential feeds.

Last edited:

Hello biff44,

Actually, I want to apply two signals, these signals have same rise time and same fall time. The amplitude of these signals are same with different sign, for example first signal has amplitude of 10 V and the second has -10 V. The delay time between these signals is 0 second which mean that these signals will applied at the same time (see attached figure(fig.1)).
I tried to simulate the antenna (fig. 2) to investigate the S11, S12, S21 and S22. I found that S12 (isolation between the feed points) is around 5 dB.
my equation:
In order to emit all the power of two signals through the antenna, should the isolation between feed points be larger (more than 5 dB)?.

As I understood from your answer
''If you really want to differentially feed you need the two coax shields coming from the end of the waveguide short circuit, with the two pins stiking out. Then you need a small gap between the back short and where the two ridges start. The two coaxial center pins bridge that gap and feed each of the 2 ridges''

Should the feeds point be inserted as shown in Fig. 3 ?

Thanks

Attachments

• DRHA.jpg
    DRHA.jpg
    812.2 KB · Views: 100

Hello biff44

Thank you very much for your answer.

I fabricated a new double ridge horn antenna. As I mentioned that I have two signals which have same rise time and same fall time. The amplitude of these signals are same with different sign, for example first signal has amplitude of 30 V and the second has -30 V. There is no delay time between these signals which mean that these signals will applied at the same time (see attached file (figure.1)).

I applied these signals on the fabricated antenna in different ways:

1- I applied only one signal on the transmitter antenna as shown in the figure 2. And I received on the receiver antenna this signal (figure 3). In this case the inner conductor of the coaxial probe pass through the upper ridge and is then connected to the lower ridge. The shield of the coaxial probe is connected to the upper ridge.

2- I applied two signals on the transmitter antenna as shown in the figure 4 (both signals have been applied at same time, there is no delay between the signals). And I received on the receiver antenna this signal (figure 5). In this case the inner conductor of the first coaxial connected to the upper ridge and the shield of the first coaxial probe is connected to the same ridge, the inner conductor of the second coaxial connected to the lower ridge and the shield of the second coaxial probe is connected to the same ridge.

3- I applied two signals on the transmitter antenna as shown in the figure 6 (both signals have been applied at same time, there is no delay between the signals). And I received on the receiver antenna this signal (figure 7). The inner conductor of the first coaxial probe pass through the upper ridge and is then connected to the lower ridge. The shield of the first coaxial probe is connected to the upper ridge. The inner conductor of the second coaxial probe pass through the lower ridge and is then connected to the upper ridge. The shield of the second coaxial probe is connected to the lower ridge.

• I think case number (1) is normal for the operation of double ridge horn antenna with one feed point.
• Case number (2), there is no signals to be transmitted because the inner conductors of the coaxial probes are shorted (the inner conductors of coaxial
probes are connected to the shield of coaxial probes (ground)).
• Case number (3), the amplitude of received signal is approximately equal to be two times of the amplitude of received signal in case (1) (see figure 8).

My questions:

1- Could you please explain me why the amplitude of received signal in case (3) has been increased comparison to the amplitude of received signal in case (1)?.
2- What about the isolation between coaxial probes in case (3)?, do you think there is transition between the probes in this case (3)?.

Actually I achieved what I want which is increase the received power (case 3), but I could not understand how this happen?.

Figures (A, B, C) show the configuration of the double ridge horn antenna

Thank you very much for your time
Best regards

Attachments

• results.pdf
    531.3 KB · Views: 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back