Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for long range RF transceiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

friendz101

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am working on a project that requires the use of a long range wireless communication link. We are talking in the 5-12km range. This is a wide range, but the longer the distance the better.

The transceiver will be used to transmit/receive digital data coming a processer. So far I've found this **broken link removed** which has an advertised maximum distance of about 915Km.

Speed is not a big issue, and sending a few bytes a second would suffice. Please note that size and weight is an issue, as this device will be attached onto a UAV.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

An average remote kit will transmit upto 1 Km+ which is more than sufficient for a hobbyist. Too remote kits working on 27 Mhz are available with Toy dealers in Mumbai.
To achieve a range of 915 Kms, communication with satellites is the only possible way. Land to land communication with UHF or VHF of that range is not possible. The other way is with HF transmission which requires good matching antenna for best propagation.

As you live in Mumbai, you are governed by the Indian Wireless planning and co-ordination Rules 1978. You can only use 0.5 watt on any frequency for educational purposes only. For more powerfull transmissions, you need to apply for a Amateur Radio or a commercial license from the dept. Transmitting with high power transmission withour a valid license is Ileegal in India...Cheers

Oops, had a typo in my post. I meant to say 9 - 15Km, lol. 915Km is way to much.
Thanks

Thanks for your help dz99.

But since the TX is going to be mounted on a blimp, its infeasible to have a YAGI antenna there, maybe an antenna that can transmit 360, and place a YAGI antenna on the receiver side.

Any suggestions for antennas on the TX side? I've searched online but could not find in the specs of the antenna "TX antenna gain", I assume I want the highest possible?

I don't know if any of the above made sense, I'm not RF expert as you can tell.

Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back