Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[PIC] Looking for LCD 2 x 16 open source routines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric_O

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Bonjour,
I am looking for open source routines on MikroC in order to manage LCD 2 x 16 caracters.
Instead of using Mikroe LCD Library (https://download.mikroe.com/documents/compilers/mikroc/pic/help/lcd_library.htm), I would prefer to understand what inside them and writing my own routines for projects with PIC 16F887 and later 18F45K20/22.
Some body know some reliable url links on internet ?
Merci !

Attachments

• 95044BA7-8CCC-4A6C-B049-B487502C2285.jpeg
    95044BA7-8CCC-4A6C-B049-B487502C2285.jpeg
    558.2 KB · Views: 83

The first hit in a Google search for "hd44780 lcd module driver library in c" provides a github link followed by plenty others that would give you enough information to write one to your own speific needs.

Hi,

So basically what's inside the library: it's the communication according HD44780 datasheet.
The datasheet is the most root information.

Klaus

Last edited:

Hi,

So basically what's inside the library: it's the communication according HD44780 datasheet.
The datasheet is the most root information.

Klaus
Klaus,

î am completl’y agree with your answer. The right way. I did that in the past many years ago at university with Z80, all peripherals. But at that present time I am a little bit hurry (maybe last too) and expect to save time.

Hi,

Open source...I think HD44780 is one of the most written library.
Did you look at github?

Klaus

It is possible to extract the source code from the MikroElektronika mikroC libraries as sets of C source code file. But they have made the process complicated.

From my view, if you are smart enough to find a way to extract the library source code you are smart enough to write better code using a better development environment. If you cannot find the way then you still need microC to hold your hand. Don't get me wrong, microC is very useful to help develop skills for embedded application code development.

My quibble with the mikroC Integrated Development Environment(IDE) is that once your use their libraries in a project it is almost too much work to port that project to a different class of controller (PIC16 to PIC18 or PIC24) , or an IDE like MPLABX with XC8 or XC16.

MikroElektronika deserves to get paid for all their efforts to make the IDE and compilers available. For me what they offer is not worth the price. Your resources and needs will be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.