Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for integrated environment for IC design under Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

z17us

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
paragon ic design tools

I found in this forum some postings about EDA tools under Linux. But can somebody give me a structured reply what tools are available (simple and complex)? Which vendors provide whole integrated environment (from top to bottom) to close the design cycle and which ones provide just substitutable pieces of the flow (schematics, spice, layout, etc.). I.e.:

1. Integrated Environments:
2. Schematic Capture:
3. Spice (analog and/or mixed signals) simulation:
4. Digital simulation and synthesis; Verification:
5. Analog Layout (incl. DRC, LVS, SVS):
6. Place and Route:

Any additional remarks are welcome.

Yes, actually a very good question. I'd also like to know if such an environment exists at this time.

almost all eda vendors provide their tools for linux platform, some are from the bottom to the top,but compared with those under unix, these tools under linux are not stable and havenot been widely accepted by industry.

Thank you byron,

That was exactly what I wanted to know, as well. Which tools are most reliable and can handle real projects, not just for fun.

it depends on your design and the support from the foundry

check out at h**p://w**.paragon-ic.com. they have some linux tools

Yes, that's true that the choice of the tools depend on the foundries. They provide the models the libraries (digital and analog), technology files, etc., etc. But it’s also true that those could be adapted to almost any tool. I.e. you could remake/reuse the symbols (transistors and standard cells), attach their models, import the Technology file to almost any layout tool, etc. I.e. you have a choice to a certain degree. Most probably your company already did its choice. But what I’m looking for is an integrated environment for home use (of course, that doesn’t mean simple tasks or simple tools). That means an optimized working environment, with minimal different tools (well, as much as possible), nicely integrated together. Hopefully it’s a solvable task.

try leo and laker

I know that Cadence, Mentor and Synopsys have ported their tools (IC, LDV, IC-Station, Calibre, Design Compiler, Physical Compiler, etc.). I also know that Laker has been ported to Linux too. I do not know if industry is not willing to support Linux since EDA companies claim to have an incresing interest in it (that is why they moved on in porting their tools to it). As for bugs, two things must be considered. First of all when we speak of Linux we speak of many different distributions. It is very difficult to build products to work bug-free in all of them. Second, initial versions some times have "maturity" bugs.

Thank you geconom,

But do you know which versions of Linux are supported?

geconom said:
I know that Cadence, Mentor and Synopsys have ported their tools (IC, LDV, IC-Station, Calibre, Design Compiler, Physical Compiler, etc.). I also know that Laker has been ported to Linux too. I do not know if industry is not willing to support Linux since EDA companies claim to have an incresing interest in it (that is why they moved on in porting their tools to it). As for bugs, two things must be considered. First of all when we speak of Linux we speak of many different distributions. It is very difficult to build products to work bug-free in all of them. Second, initial versions some times have "maturity" bugs.

Linux

The Latest Synopsys 2003.03 suite is qualified for RH8, RH7.2

Redhat is the dominant distribution. I prefer 7.3. 8.0 has cased some problems and if you are inexperienced you may find difficulties in overcoming them. I do not know anything (have not tested it) about 9.0 which has just been released.

To get them ftp://ftp.redhat.com, https://www.linuxiso.com, https://www.linuxiso.org and many, many more mirrors (free of charge).

geconom said:

I am not sure that the industry doesn't want to support Linux EDA tools. With the powerful PCs of today I think the advantage is there. For example in my company we use Eldo under Unix and under Linux. For the same simulations, the ones under linux run 4-6 times faster than the ones under Unix on Ultra 80. And I don't see any problems with reliability.

Unix is work stabilization in you work.
Use pc it can run severl day.

Status
Not open for further replies.