Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for good reference about EBG filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

gladiator

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
EBG filters

Hi
I am looking for a good efernce about EBG filters.

thx

Re: EBG filters

Here are a few articles:

www.eecs.umich.edu/ tics/chappell_research/MCWL%20-%20my%20EBG%20filter%20paper%20.pdf

**broken link removed**

www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~gongx/ aps2003_filter_ant2.pdf

But the first and the third are not available now.

just delete blank spaces in those references and www. instead of www-

i.
Have a look on this link about an EBG conference in France at IETR.
Some oral presentations are available there.
**broken link removed**

ii.
My vision on EBG structures
As for me, we can separate EBG in two separate categories
1 planar EBG structure for dielectric substrates.
1.1 Local etching of the dielectric substrate (a=lambda/2)
1.2 Whole etching of the dielectric substrate : Hi-Zsurfaces (a<<lambda/2)
1.3 Drilling the substrate

2. Other volumic EBG structures
2.1 Metallic Photonic Bandgap material (MPBG)
2.2 active grid
2.3 EBG structure used as dielectric cover

3. Applications of EBG structures for dielectric substrates
3.1 Use of the "stopband" effect
=> Dielectric loss reduction by suppressing surface waves
Antenna efficiency improvement & Isolation improvement
=> Harmonic control
3.2 Use of the "passband" effect
=> Structures miniaturization
=> Phase shiftering

iii.
Let's have a look on EBG thesis online
**broken link removed**
https://www.ee.ucla.edu/labs/photon/thesis/ThesisDan.pdf

Littlindian (Ph.D. student in France)

Hi there,

sorry to cut in but I am a beginner looking at EBG structures and was wondering what is the main difference between FSS and EBG. From the list which littlindian wrote, it sounds like EBG is similar to FSS. Also, I was wondering if there are any good reference about simulating EBG structure in electromagnetic simulators like C$t or HF$$?. Which software offers better tools/simulator in aid of simulating an EBG structure? (e.g HF$$ has field calculators but C$T need to write your own VBA..etc)

Any help will be appreicated.

Cheers,
Element7k

EBG structures are "old news" : it's true. The attention have been focalized on it and quite new structures have been proposed but theoretical interpretation of EBG behavior are not recent. Actually, analysis tools have already and completely been proposed in the past : For example, the appereance of stopband in transmission lines with periodic structures have already been proposed in Pozar 'microwave engineering". For mstrip lines, the periodic insert can then be a slot in its GP (Radisic structure) or for slotlines a metallic pattern in the other side of the substrate which contains the slot...

Concerning simulation tools , the answer could always be 'it depends' :)
For simulating EBG structures for dielectric substrates, a MoM tool is accurate. For volumic structures as FSS, a 3D EM simulator is necessary. except in some particular cases (-)

Concerning FSS, they can be classified in 'grid' (active or not) .

Note that periodic structures still focalized attention with Left Handed materials. two categories then : 'resonant structure approach' (lossy, work within narrow bandwidth) and transmission line appraoch with recently new sort of leaky wave antennas.

it a vast domain isn't it !

Littlindian.

Hi littleindian,

thank you for the very informative reply. I will have to read more about EBGs and I hope you will be available when I finally understand what this is all about :p

One thing I agree is that indeed EBGs are old news but I am wondering why hasn't it found widespread use of this structure? FSS has found its way to microwave ovens! (I bet most people here owns an FSS) :p I'm into antennas but not a lot of people implemented EBGs to suppress surface waves although they know it may improve performance. Why? What else need to be done to get people to start using it? I was at a conference and one of the speakers were saying Photonic BandGap hasn't progress much since it first started?!! I was wondering how true this is.

Maybe we should start another post (Maybe EBG General) so as not to confuse other readers of EBG filters.

Cheers,
Element7k

EBG is PBG in Microwave! FSS can be uesd for UCPBG.CST and HFSS can solve it very good!!! I am engaged in them!!!

kunkun_5201314 said:
EBG is PBG in Microwave! FSS can be uesd for UCPBG.CST and HFSS can solve it very good!!! I am engaged in them!!!

can you send me by email some HFSS project about mettalic photonic crystal? I am now doing in this field, mainly focus on S parameters of custom-specified 3D models by myself. but I am not sure of corrected boundaries.

I would be interested to see some cst examples on pbg structures also. Would you please send some examples to me pls?
thnx

If any of you have designs of pbg or ebg in hfss, hope you can post them

Can someone give me some suggestion about one-dimension EBG structure using in microstrip antenna? MEBG?...
Thanks!

EBG filters

Does anybody know if there are any examples about how to create an ebg structure using the cst microwave studio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back