Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for free C/C++ software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
C/C++ Software

Hi.....

Do you know if i using Visual C++ Software to write the C code is it any different/problem can be occurs.

Where can i download the free software for C. Let me know the web-page so that i can download it.....

Thanks........

C/C++ Software

Free C compiler? That's a common question. Here is one reply:

Most folks agree that Visual C++ is a pretty good C compiler.

Re: C/C++ Software

You can try Cygwin. That has a GCC compiler.

C/C++ Software

Turbo C was a useful DOS compiler 15-20 years ago, but I recommend avoiding it today. You will soon encounter it's painful limitations such as poor memory models and weak optimizing.

If you really need a DOS C compiler for 386 CPU or newer, I recommend DJGPP:
https://www.delorie.com/djgpp/

C/C++ Software

you can try code::blocks

https://www.codeblocks.org/

"Code::Blocks is a free C/C++ IDE built specifically to meet the most demanding needs of its users. It has been designed, right from the start, to be extensible and configurable..."

echo47 said:
Turbo C was a useful DOS compiler 15-20 years ago, but I recommend avoiding it today. You will soon encounter it's painful limitations such as poor memory models and weak optimizing.

If you really need a DOS C compiler for 386 CPU or newer, I recommend DJGPP:
h**p://www.delorie.com/djgpp/

Hi...

Can you tall me which one is the installation for C compiler after i go in the web-page?? Can you give me the direct link to the installation web-page...

Thanks....

C/C++ Software

The second link on the DJGPP web pages says: Zip Picker (helps you decide what to download)

Now I'm worried that DJGPP may be too complicated for you!

Remember that DJGPP, like TurboC, is a DOS only compiler. There are many better choices for Windows users.

echo47 said:
The second link on the DJGPP web pages says:
"Zip Picker (helps you decide what to download)"
If you can't figure out that page, then DJGPP will be too difficult for you to use.

Remember that DJGPP, like TurboC, is a DOS only compiler. There are many better choices for Windows users.

Hi..

Sorry, I not understand your point. Is it the DJGPP is difficult to use, TubboC more easy to use compare to DJGPP?? I am the beginner for programming. So, i need you all help. Why the DJGPP is difficult to use? The format of writing C language is the stadand, why DJGPP and TurboC compiler have different? I use Visual C++ before it is easily to use, i just wrote the program then creck compiler then the program will run already.

So, do you have any software like Visual C++ easy but for C.
Can you teach me how to install the DJGPP, after go to DJGPP Zip File Picker then go to DJGPP Zip File Picker Results then what should i do because bellow have alot of zip file....??

Thank You..

C/C++ Software

If I remember correctly, Microsoft has released their VS.net compiler for free. Go to thier web site and serach.

Good luck.

saturn said:
If I remember correctly, Microsoft has released their VS.net compiler for free. Go to thier web site and serach.

Good luck.

Hi..

Can you help me Please........, where is the web-page direct link to the C compiler Installation, please give me the web-page..

Thank You..

i once talked to a freind of mine who is doing a BE in computer engineering and he recommended me the Microsoft Visual C++ development software. MS VC++ has more support and more books than any other compiler. and there are a great number of people working with it. and you can find help for it from numerous places on the internet. i personally like the discussion forums at codeguru.com

C/C++ Software

If you want to create programs that run well under Windows, then you should use a Windows compiler. If you already know how to use Visual C++, then great! Go get a copy somewhere. It is a very good Windows compiler. If you don't absolutely need DOS compatibilty, then please don't handicap yourself by trying to use a DOS compiler such as Turbo C (too old) or DJGPP (too specialized).

My favorite free Windows compiler is MinGW. I run it from the command line by typing something like this: gcc -Wall hello.c -o hello.exe. If you prefer a fancy IDE with built-in debugger and project manager and on-line help (such as Visual C++) then you probably won't like MinGW. If you want to try MinGW, it's easy to install: simply download and run MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe. You may have to manually modify your Windows PATH variable to include the mingw\bin folder.
https://www.mingw.org/

echo47 said:
If you want to create programs that run well under Windows, then you should use a Windows compiler. If you already know how to use Visual C++, then great! Go get a copy somewhere. It is a very good Windows compiler. If you don't absolutely need DOS compatibilty, then please don't handicap yourself by trying to use a DOS compiler such as Turbo C (too old) or DJGPP (too specialized).

My favorite free Windows compiler is MinGW. I run it from the command line by typing something like this: gcc -Wall hello.c -o hello.exe. If you prefer a fancy IDE with built-in debugger and project manager and on-line help (such as Visual C++) then you probably won't like MinGW. If you want to try MinGW, it's easy to install: simply download and run MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe. You may have to manually modify your Windows PATH variable to include the mingw\bin folder.
h**p://www.mingw.org/

Hi..

So, if i use the Visual C++ Software to run C code should be not a problem is it??
How to download the MinGW installation, after go to this web-page https://prdownloads.sf.net/mingw/MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe?download
then.....
The DJGPP how to install? Is it this software for beginner is not suitable because never have basic am i right??

Thanks...

C/C++ Software

1. Yes, Visual C++ will compile both C and C++ programs.

2. Click the symbol in the "download" column.

3. Installing DJGPP is more complicated than installing a typical Windows app. The installation instructions are on the same web page as the download zip files, however the procedure can be confusing to a some folks.

MinGW installs more easily. Be sure to visit the documentation page:
https://www.mingw.org/docs.shtml

echo47 said:
1. Yes, Visual C++ will compile both C and C++ programs.

2. Click the symbol in the "download" column.

3. Installing DJGPP is more complicated than installing a typical Windows app. The installation instructions are on the same web page as the download zip files, however the procedure can be confusing to a some folks.

MinGW installs more easily. Be sure to visit the documentation page:
h**p://www.mingw.org/docs.shtml

Hi,

1, i go h**p://www.mingw.org/docs.shtml -> Installing MinGW -> Download
2, MinGW and MSYS Distributions -> File Release System
3, Download MinGW-3.1.0-1.exe
4, choose any Host -> Download
5, **broken link removed**
6, save and install

I already install then how to open it and start my programming??

Thanks..

C/C++ Software

Go to the documentation page. It gives step-by-step examples:
https://www.mingw.org/docs.shtml

You don't "open" MinGW. You run it from the command line.
Please reread my paragraph that begins "My favorite free Windows compiler ...".

Are you new to computers, or a non-English language speaker? That could cause you difficulty.

If you have additional questions, you can send me a PM. Most other folks won't be interested in this conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.