Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for EM simulation algorithm

Status
Not open for further replies.

mailgvenkat

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
EM simulation algorithm

is there any Matlab codes for analysing EM fields of nanometer interconnects?.......

is there any simulation algrithm (such as FDTD..)exists for analysing in nanometer range?......

Re: EM simulation algorithm

Hi, mailgvenkat: Most EM algorithms should be suitable for nano structures. If a simulator is properly implemented, it shouild be able to solve nano structures. At least I can see IE3D can do it. I noticed some customers are using IE3D for optical antennas in the 6000-7000 GHz range. The size is tiny. Regards.

hi jian,

thankyou for ur quick reply...But do u have any idea regarding the simulation codes(like FDTD codes available for interconnects in micrometer range) available for nanometer range...?...

If u have any codes/links regarding the same....post it to me.....

with regards,
Venkat.G

EM simulation algorithm

Hi, Venkat: From what I see, FDTD should not have problem in modeling interconnects in micrometer range. Uniform based FDTD algorithm may have difficulty in handling structures with large dimensions and small dimensions in the same structure. If all the dimensions are in the micrometer range, I believe that it should not have problems for such structures.

If you like, you can try the FIDELITY (FDTD) simulator from Zeland (www.zeland.com). I am from Zeland Software, Inc. Any question, you can feel free to let mek now. Regards.

EM simulation algorithm

to jian:
i u use any simulation tool for nanometer range ,
will it obey CFL condition.the cell size will be very small for operation.

EM simulation algorithm

Hi, Ramani: What is the CFL condition? From what I see, small size is not critical as long as the the overall size is small. An optical antnena is an example. The cell is very small. However, the whole structure is about half a wavelength and we can still solve it easily on IE3D. Certainly, as I mentioned earlier, if you have some feature size very big while some feature size is very small, then it will create a size problem for full wave EM simulators. Regards.

EM simulation algorithm

hello jian,
In nanaometer design , the whole substrate will be in few nanometers. in IE3D what kind of simulation you are using?.
i.e whether FEM,FDTD,...like that.

Hi, Ramani:

IE3D uses MOM simulators. I have not tried a few nm substrates yet. However, I believe it should be ok. On MMIC and RFIC, 100 nm substrates are popular. We have been modeling 100 nm substrates problem very successfully. We did try some cases with tens of nm and they are good. From what I see, the algorithm can handle a few nm substrate problems. However, I do want to make sure it works. The above discussion is for modeling the ultra thin substrates are infinite thin layers. On IE3D, we can also model ultra thin dielectrics as 3D dielectrics. It will not have any problem using the finite dielectric scheme even for thiner substrates.

I understand ultra thin substrates will cause problem in FEM and FDTD. However, MOM can handle it quite well if it is well implemented. Thanks!

hi jian,

i have downloaded IE3D(linux version) from www.zealand.com . i have installed the software bu...ncets using MOM?... with regards , venkat.g.[/u]

Hi, mailgvenkat:

We only have the IE3D engine ported to Linux. We do have an interface to Cadence Virtuoso. However, the layout editor is not available on Linux. You need to use the Windows version in order to use the full features of IE3D.

By the way, I tested a case with a microstrip structure with an ultra thin layer on top of a 100 micron GaAs substrate. The thickness of the ultra thin layer can go down to below 0.5 nm. The aspect ratio is about 1.0e+5 to 0.5. I think it should be enough for your applications.

Best regards,

hi jian,

i have downloaded the IE3D (windows version) software and installed it...But i faced certain problems in accessing your server for licences......

do i have any alternate way to get licence from Zealand....requesting your reply.....

with regards,
venkat.g.

Hi, mailgvenkat: At this time, we normally offer this web based network evaluation licenses. I understand that it may not be stable if the internet connection is not stable or there is firewall in it. We will try to provide some alternative for it. Can you send me (jian@zeland.com) an e-mail with your information? I will try to see. Thanks! Regards.

HI JIAN,

i have posted a personal mail to u.....i request you to give me an alternate way to get the licence.....

expexting ur reply...

with regards,
venkat.g.

hi jian ,

iam considering a planar TL structure say microstrip (or) strip line (or )coplanar waveguide.as the technology tends to <90nm,the interconnects i.e,TL structure have to be modified accordingly so as maintain signal integrity.

But in such technolgy do u have any optimum dimensions?........Whether u have testd it.....if u have the details reg. this ...please mail me......

Also SI issues include filed analysis with PML boundary conditions,coupling effects(between two traces),Timing effects,etc......

CAn these be done with IE3D?.......

expecting ur reply,

with regards,
venkat.g.

Hi, mailgvenkat:

IE3D has been widely used in the design of RFIC and other semiconductor devices. It has been extensively tested for structures with dimensions in the microns or sub-microns or even smaller structures. It shoulid be able to solve your 90 nm problems. Thanks!

Best regards,

Hi,jian.From this post I know you are from Zeland Sotware,I have a question about IE3D.Is there any way to use IE3D MoM solver by a programming language,such as Matlab?or can we use Matlab and IE3D for cosimulation? Regards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back