Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for consultant to check boards for CE testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rv213

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have designed two boards but don't know if they will withstand the testing needed for CE certification. My background is in Mechanical Engineering and I used example schematics from development boards provided by the IC manufacturers.

Need advice for improving the boards, particularly the connection between USB I/O bits and the other 5V board.

Any advice or contact information is greatly appreciated.
Roberto

Roberto
For CE marking it's not so much how the schematic is laid out, It's the PCB that has got to mee the requirements, I used to work for a company that sent some stuff away to be CE marked and for what i can remember is

If it has got mains transofoemer on PCB it has to be protected with fuse on the input side and has to has a 8-10mm clearance all the way around the tracks that the AC mains supply run accors no ohter low voltage track run in that area, if you use opto-isolators then it's best not to but any GND plane unneath them,

I'm sure if you do a search on here you should find some books about PCB design

so what you need to do is get your PCB layout then suck and see, but if you do not intend to sell these has a peoduct then it does not need to meet the CE markings but to be honest unless you are goinf to sell them in the millions then i would not bother has CE marking are not cheap if i remember it cost my old company upto 10K or more

wizpic

1. I would suggest to add series resistors(22ohms) from cypress part to the connectors
2 diode in parallel with R6
3. protection didoe parallel to J5
4. look in the semtech.com for the protection devices for the USB port

rv213

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You may also need a pull up resistor on the SCL line - can't seem to spot it.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

Iouri,

I have seen other examples that have put a resistor in series with I/O lines. What does that do? Does it simply lower the input voltage the Cypress pin would receive? Each pin has max input rating of 5.25V, so I didn't think it was necessary but I will take a closer look.

I have also looked at Semtech ESD protection arrays. Would you recommend using these on the Cypress I/O lines as well for ESD protection?

Thanks again for all the help.
Roberto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back