Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for beginner documents on driver programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

sztibi82

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
driver programming

Hi.
I want to learn driver programming. Somebody has made something like that, who could help.
Also if somebody has reference material, documentations, pls post it.

Re: driver programming

Hi sztibi82

For which operating system you want to learn writing drivers?

Good starting point
for linux: "Linux Device Drivers 2nd" free book h**p://www.xml.com/ldd/chapter/book/
for windows: "Programming the Microsoft Windows Driver Model"

Best reg

driver programming

For writing windows drivers you need the Windows Driver Development Kit (DDK) which you can get from Microsoft, used to be a free download but you now have to buy it. This cd contains all the tools needed, including a c compiler, debuggers and numerous samples of windows drivers.

I want to write drivers for windows. For the moment something simple like a driver for parallel port.
PS: I have DDK.

driver programming

Well you are ready to go, I also suggest getting the book mentioned by mhmhmh. Visit Oney's website
(h**p://www.oneysoft.com/) as well. Writing windows drivers that are well behaved is not a trivial task. Oney's book includes a file called 'generic' that can be used and helps a lot.
Plug and play is quite tricky. Drivers should also be written in C, non of that C++ resource hungry crap.

sztibi82 said:
I want to write drivers for windows. For the moment something simple like a driver for parallel port.
PS: I have DDK.
Firstly, you don't need to write drivers to interface the parallel port.
Secondly, even the simplest drivers require about a thousand lines of code. As what others have mentioned, Oney's book is the definitive guide in windows driver writing.

well, Walter Oney 's book probably the best definitive book around. But at some points it's quite time consuming to comprehend for complete newbie like I once was. I suggest to look for some brief tutorial on it on the web before delving into more intricate stuff like that book. After you've grasp the "roadmap" then proceed to build the driver and use that book as a guide. Perhaps, first try to build an NT-style driver which is more simple and easy to test and debug in win2K/XP, then proceed to the more complex PnP stuff. Goodluck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back