Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for any information about crystal diodes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Crystal Diodes

This is the ancient name for silicon, germanium, galena, and schottky diodes. It comes from the old days when a metal wire was mechanically touched to the galena crystal.

Crystal Diodes

The name is old but the definition is still valid.
A cristal detector is a sqare law, semiconductor, diode working with Vout in the mV range.
The Cristal detector is a basilar component for most advanced measuring instruments.

More information:
**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

For a detector diode we want a fast diode (low parasitic capacitance compared to C in parallel LC tank) with a low threshold voltage. This is why Schottky's are used for this purpose. I suppose a while ago crystal diodes would have had agreeing performance, but clearly at higher price.

In average, the price of a second-hand good crystal detector is $100.
**broken link removed**
For some applications they are very good, and cannot be replaced by anything, due to a very fast response (~200 pico seconds)

First available crystal diodes as far as I remember were germanium point diodes. They have very low capacitance and knee voltage, even lower than today's shotky diodes. I believe you can stil get AA116 or 1N34 diodes. Price is higher than for nowadays diodes.

ciao
see my invention
to reduce noise and add power output

see also my website www.esafono.it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back