Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a substitute of mc789ap chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello I need a sabstitute for the mc789ap chip. 74LSxx series if possible. this is a hex inverter but I cannot find any data for it..??

mc789ap substitute

Are you thinking pin for pin compatible? I don't think there are any, either TTL or CMOS. What are you building... a TV Typewriter?

Ken

Re: mc789ap substitute

KMoffett said:
Are you thinking pin for pin compatible? I don't think there are any, either TTL or CMOS. What are you building... a TV Typewriter?

Ken

Yes Ken, exactly. A tv typewriter. I am amazed you found it. It seems this chip is not used anywhere else ? :)
Pin compatibility is not a problem because I am building the thing in bread board.

If you Google mc789ap, all you get is TV Typewriter articles. I assume this is the plan: https://www.tinaja.com/glib/bdtvtype.pdf
In the Improved ASCII Encoder schematic it looks like the only thing unusual about its use is that two of the inputs are driven by pull-up transistors Q1 and Q2. TTL defaults to high on the inputs and would require a pull-down drive.

Ken

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Not exactly, I am going to build the typewriter II which is an enhancement to one.
I think I will go for discrete DTL using transistors and diodes to replace the hex invertersn it should be more difficult.
do you think any general purpose PNP transistor like 2n2907 could replace the obsolete 2n5139?

Times have changed and so has technology!

I have a similar 'TV typewriter' using a PC keyboard and just two other ICs !!

Brian.

Of course.. It is like re-inventing the wheel :) but it is very good foe educational purposes, so low level, so easy to understand and follow :) yet has some uses in amateur radio

Check a cross reference site or contact the manufacturer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back