Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a PIC with 2 UARTS and USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abbod

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
PIC chip no question

If there are a PIC with 2 serial interfaces and usb interface !
can any one tell me what is its chip number and/or its datasheet ?
Thanksµ

PIC chip no question

Hi,
Check out the PIC24 and dsPIC series. Most of them have more than 1 serial interface some having 3. About more than 1 USB, I don't know. eg. PIC24FJ64GB106(68 pin).

Re: PIC chip no question

Thanks,
But it is not exist in my country market
PIC18F6622 or PIC24series or PIC18F87J50 ,those are all suitable for my application.
If I could not get any one of them
I may make multiplexing to serial port so as to connect PIC with more than 1 device

Use software UART instead of hardware. And don't waste time and money by using more than one PIC for only this purpose...

Good Luck

Use Microchip's on-line tools (https://www.microchip.com/maps/microcontroller.aspx) to find a device. This tool allows you to specify the device family, your memory requirements and peripheral requirements, and will show you all devices that meet your needs. There are devices in the 18F, 24F and 32MX families that have 2 UARTS and a USB. Don't waste your time implementing a software UART - the hardware solution is no more expensive and is a much better way to go.

anandpv2009 said:
Use software UART instead of hardware.
Software UARTs work well for transmitting. But beware that when it comes to receiving, they can consume disproportionate amount of CPU time.

Abbod, what are you going to connect to the 2 UARTs?

kender said:
anandpv2009 said:
Use software UART instead of hardware.
Software UARTs work well for transmitting. But beware that when it comes to receiving, they can consume disproportionate amount of CPU time.

Abbod, what are you going to connect to the 2 UARTs?
His question is relevant...

If CPU speed is critical go for hardware UART else SOFTWARE UART is better....

GSM Man said:
Don't waste your time implementing a software UART

Eg. of HARDWARE UART initialization(CCS)
#use rs232(baud=9600, xmit=PIN_C6,rcv=PIN_C7)

Eg. of HARDWARE UART initialization(CCS)
#use rs232(baud=9600, xmit=PIN_A2,rcv=PIN_A3)

I don't know what is the difficulty in programming(if u r using C). The only two problems with software UART are

1. System speed
2. It is not possible to use interrupts with software UART

You can use software UART as just like a hardware UART (C lang.). + Any number of UARTs + INVERT opertaion and more....
In my many project I used software UART instead of hardware due to various reasons.

There is no difficulty in programming (c lang.) for both hard. and soft UARTs.

anandpv2009 said:
If CPU speed is critical go for hardware UART else SOFTWARE UART is better....
In what way is a software UART BETTER? The only advantage of a software UART would be if the processor is less expensive. For receiving data a hardware UART will provide better noise immunity (due to over-sampling) over-run detection and framing error detection.

In Abbod's case my stand is still clear. Software UART is the only solution until he get a MC with two UARTs.

And i don't think hard. UART is the only solution for Abbod.

use of both soft and hard UART depends our requirement.

anandpv2009 said:
In Abbod's case my stand is still clear. Software UART is the only solution until he get a MC with two UARTs.
As I indicated in my original post, the Microchip tool allows you to easily find devices that meet his requirements. It lists 47 different devices that have a USB port and 2 UARTS and they are available in th 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit family. Unless he has some other requirement that would preclude the use of one of these devices, he has plenty of hardware options available to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.