Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a job related to ASIC design

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunter

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
job hunting

Hi, all
I know it's not a right place to post, sorry for any inconvenience.
For some reason, a SR. ASIC Design engineer is looking for an ASIC Design opptunity. currently I live in Silicon Valley,ca,US. have almost ten chips successfully tape-outs(under .18, timing critical) including some big chips came from big company, such as yamaha, ubicom, toshiba etc. Focusing on back-end,took charge of P&R,verification,Power Analysis, timng closure, foundry interface. very good person to challenge the timing critical, multi-million designs. cause I used to be front-end designer. Apollo/SoCEncounter are as the main P&R tools.

details according to some of my chips:

dsp: 600K,330M, 0.13um,
risc cpu: 400K,300M, 0.18um.
network chip: 500K,250M, 0.15LV.
network chip: 5M, 240M, 0.13um,12clock domains, 6power domains.
SOC chip: 5M, 200M, 0.13u, (ongoing)

any information will be highly appreciated.

Hello,

sorry for my intervention.
Till now I have thought, the age is not crucial in the US. Is this snow from the last year in the mean time?
I'm from Europe.

Robby

not age as an end

I suspect that age in itself is not important. It is an indicator of total experience.

mitaka said:
how old are you?

7years experience, mature enough to handle the following design, young enough to chanllenge the high-end, multi-million, timing critical designs.

**broken link removed**

hierarchical design methedology.
die size: 9x9
pins: more than 400
clock: 12 clock domains
main freq: 240M
foundry: 0.13um, tsmc

i'm not an employer and i'm far away from USA.
just curious how old may be a men with such an experience.
and i wondering is it worth to become asic designer,
i'm not finish my education yet:)

Re: job hunting

It shouldn't be hard to find a job in CA with your level of experience, unless your requirement of compensation is very high.

Lately I noticed one trend: all the IC companies are moving jobs to India/China. The company I work for has set up an R&D center in India where they hired > 500 ASIC designers. Of course the company has been reducing the number of ASIC designers in US locations. Maybe in a few years, ASIC jobs in US will be very rare. It's sad, but it's very likely to happen.

rx300

rx300 said:
It shouldn't be hard to find a job in CA with your level of experience, unless your requirement of compensation is very high.

Lately I noticed one trend: all the IC companies are moving jobs to India/China. The company I work for has set up an R&D center in India where they hired > 500 ASIC designers. Of course the company has been reducing the number of ASIC designers in US locations. Maybe in a few years, ASIC jobs in US will be very rare. It's sad, but it's very likely to happen.

rx300

The average salary of ASIC designers in India is around $400 per month, (annually $5000). This is true with other services like IT and financial services.

there is one thing I keep asking myself when it comes to IC design - what would be worth pursuing with respect to the future trends - digital ASIC design or analog/mixed-signal design. I consider designing digital functions on transistor level, especially for high-speed as mixed-signal design. What do you think?
Also, any idea how's the job market for analog designers in the Silicon Valley?

[/quote]

The average salary of ASIC designers in India is around $400 per month, (annually $5000). This is true with other services like IT and financial services.[/quote]

These numbers look too low. I know many US companies pay at least $20K/year for an ASIC job in India. Somebody must been ripping off engineers if your numbers are real.

The average salary of ASIC designers in India is around $400 per month, (annually $5000). This is true with other services like IT and financial services.[/quote]

These numbers look too low. I know many US companies pay at least $20K/year for an ASIC job in India. Somebody must been ripping off engineers if your numbers are real.[/quote]

maybe for top management guys,
but for junior and middle guys even @intel, @ti, @philips,
@motorola,@ad,@st....... the figures are correct.(give or take $200)
So the companies dont seem to be sad..

rx300 said:

rx300

It's tough time in US, especially in Silicon Valley, too many guys got layed off, almost 100:1 for one opening, and the war made the situation even worse. Although you are good enough, but how can HR guys identify you from that many candidates? I am not sure whether there are any Engineer manager or HR guys in this board, if any, can you describe the basic flow to hire engineer? could you give me some hint?

sutapanaki said:
there is one thing I keep asking myself when it comes to IC design - what would be worth pursuing with respect to the future trends - digital ASIC design or analog/mixed-signal design. I consider designing digital functions on transistor level, especially for high-speed as mixed-signal design. What do you think?

Same thing, except for RF IC designer.

HR people

Unfortunately, HR people are selected for their skills in understanding the employment laws and not for their skills at recognizing the quality of job candidates. As a result they are unusually poor in this area. I suspect that Albert Einstein would get his resume thrown in the trash by most HR people.

I know of a case where the world's first ranking person on a product area done by a company has his resume thrown away by that company's HR department.

hunter said:
sutapanaki said:

Same thing, except for RF IC designer.

Why is the Silicon Valley different from other places in US and Canada? I've been looking at job postings arount and my impression is that there are more openings for analog/mixed-signal (not RF) than digital. But I might be wrong as well.

silicon valley

What makes silicon valley different is several things. There are several top engineerng schools in the area (Stanford, UC Berkeley) and several regular grade ones. All of these turn out trained workers who like the local area and want to stay. I have been told that there are 5000 technology companies in the area to hire them. This area was originally agricultural and so there were no non-engineering companies. This is probably the only place in the world where there are square miles of engineering only companies.

Re: silicon valley

flatulent said:
What makes silicon valley different is several things. There are several top engineerng schools in the area (Stanford, UC Berkeley) and several regular grade ones. All of these turn out trained workers who like the local area and want to stay. I have been told that there are 5000 technology companies in the area to hire them. This area was originally agricultural and so there were no non-engineering companies. This is probably the only place in the world where there are square miles of engineering only companies.

No, no, I meant why is RF so much sought after in Silicon Valley and not just analog. While in the other parts people seem to look for mixed-signal as well as RF. Digital design is another story. I think there are too many digital engineers out on the market now looking for job.

don't know

I am not familiar with silicon valley to that detail. How do you know that there is a shortage of RF people there? One of my old friends works for a RF consulting firm there and they are short of customers. Another of my friends has friends there working in RFIC development. They are going ahead in designing chips they hope someone will buy because they have not had paying customers for the past year.

Re: don't know

flatulent said:
I am not familiar with silicon valley to that detail. How do you know that there is a shortage of RF people there? One of my old friends works for a RF consulting firm there and they are short of customers. Another of my friends has friends there working in RFIC development. They are going ahead in designing chips they hope someone will buy because they have not had paying customers for the past year.

Well, I don't know for sure but that's what Hunter said above - it is the same bad situation for digital and analog except RF.

Status
Not open for further replies.