Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a high speed low current pnp bjt to invert the output of an optocoupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathmandu

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Looking for a high speed low current pnp bjt

hello,
please help me to find out a suitable high speed low current bjt (pnp, thru hole package). I want to invert the output of an optocoupler (6n137) and I want to use a lower collector current (1mA) but still having smaller switching times (bellow 50ns).
The usual pnp bjt (2n3906) only have small switching times for bigger collector currents (10-100mA range).
god bless u

Re: Looking for a high speed low current pnp bjt

Hi,

Not BJT, but PMOS ZVP2106A says 49 nanoseconds rise to fall, VGSth is -1.5V min. to -3.5V max., and as you know is not current dependent, unless you need current-controlled device for some reason. 2N2907 datasheet does have turn on at 100uA but is far, far too slow, apparently.

...datasheet says VGSth conditions: ID=-1mA, VDS= VGS

Thank you very much for your suggestions! I've just found a suitable part (https://www.applelogic.org/files/PN4258.pdf) but it seems to be obsolete and didn't found it on local stores neither (not even a replacement though).
I might try to look after a pmos as you have already suggested. The optocoupler has a supply voltage of 5v thus a Vgsth range of 1.5v to 3.5v looks ok. I already made the pcb hence I'm still looking for a bjt first.

You don't need to add a device to invert the output when you can invert the input by choosing either high or low side driving of LED ( anode-hi or Cathode-low)

(the original schematic has a speed-up capacitor and a backer clamp circuit (three schottky diodes) to improve the bjt switching characteristics thus it might be difficult to accommodate a pmos on the actual pcb)

- - - Updated - - -

You don't need to add a device to invert the output when you can invert the input by choosing either high or low side driving of LED ( anode-hi or Cathode-low)

It happened to accidentally disconnect the optocoupler wires and its output defaults to high thus I've got a mosfet shoot through (i'm driving a full bridge).

Status
Not open for further replies.