Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a flow sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tulkas

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am looking for a flow sensor which will use to measure the amount of water flowing in a water channel, this channel is open, something like this.

**broken link removed**

Somebody can help me.

Thanks.

This is not an easy task. To now for shore you have to lead all the water threw the flow sensor. An other way to do is to calculate the flow threw the channel. And then you can use any flow sensor you want.

Take a look at this example:
https://www.alphacontrols.com/Products.htm?ID=148
Open Channel Flow
The common method of measuring flow through an open channel is to measure the height or HEAD of the liquid as it passes over an obstruction (a flume or weir) in the channel. Using ultrasonic level technology, Greyline open channel flow meters include a non-contacting sensor mounted above the flume or weir. By measuring the time from transmission of an ultrasonic pulse to receipt of an echo, the water level or "Head" is accurately measured.

Regards,
IanP

Thanks a lot. Now I'm looking only for sensors, I'm going to use my own datalogger and I only need level and a speed sensors but all I have found are sensors + datalogger. Where can I found this sensors.

Thanks in advance.

hi
you can use puls dappler method .for more accuracy ,it is better to use two set of reciver and transmeter (ultrasonic).one of them in direction of water and other aginst of water.in 2 recivers you have
f1=f+ΔF and f2=f-ΔF ΔF=½(f2-f1) v=kxΔF
. it is beter to shap chanel for more accuracy.

can a doppler based flow meter measure raw oil or sludge flow?

hi dika
i think yes.it use in blood flow meter .

but from what i heard raw oil contains various 'hard' materials. those materials can make the wave to bounce frantically. will that make measurement impossible?
correct me if i'm wrong, isn't ultrasonic bounce in rock or sediment?

dear dika
'hard' materials reflect ultrasonic wave better than liquids.so ultrasonic applications for hard materials is easy .
hard material transfer mechanical waves better than gass and liquids.
there is many ultrasonic applications ,like
tickness measuring and speed meters ,welding inspection.

https://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/6372/2399

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

thanks for the info smxx
i've tested the ultrasonic flow sensor, using the doppler effect and the transit time type. both were unable to give a reliable measurement. i suspect it was caused by the 'hard' materials. like i mentioned before.

i forgot to mention that the measuring was done next to the oil well. before any process was done, where rocks and soil is common.

but in the case where filtering process was done, the measurement was reliable enough. around 1-2% error rate, compared with the measurement near the well, which reliability bounced around 50-75%.

hope this will clarify things up. can you suggest any alternatives?

thanks

Check out product from +GF+ Signet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back