Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for a chip burner for putting Verilog code on chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucifre

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, i want to be able to put verilog code into the chip,using like a chip burner and than be able to put it onto the PCB board. Quite like programming a Gal16V8... I dont want to buy experiment development board that has a chip permamently attached to the board(quite useless, if you ask me). I need the chip burner, that allows me to program chips that you buy separately and once the chips are programmed you can go ahead and solder them in your project.
It doesn't have to be anything fancy... something that would handle simple logic gates and flip flops.

I don't want anything like ASIC synthesis either, where you send the documents to the fabhouse.

Any suggestions on the product i should buy? The available funds that i have is between $ 1000 - 2000. I really want something more powerful than GAL16V8

Need Help

A CPLD will probably suit your needs. They are inexpensive, starting around $2. Common types are from Xilinx, _Altera, and Lattice. The development software is usually free, such as WebPACK from Xilinx:
http://www.xilinx.com/ise/logic_design_prod/webpack.htm

Most modern CPLDs are surface-mount, and in-circuit programmable through a download cable from your PC. That's much better than the old method of program, solder, test, oops, unsolder, program, ...

Some questions you need to ask yourself: How much more powerful than a GAL16V8? How many I/O pins? What I/O voltage? How many MHz? Then you can select the right device.

A cheap development board is a good way to learn the device and software. It usually includes a download cable, which you can reuse when programming the device on your final board. For example, this simple kit costs only $49:
http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?Prod=XC2XL&Nav1=Products&Nav2=Programmable

You could download the free software right now and try designing your logic before you buy any hardware.

Re: Need Help

What does in-circuit programmable mean? Could you point me to any ANY chip burner (do they still make those?) and a chip it programs?. Xillinx website is written in so high level computer engineering jargon that i don't uderstand I don't really need much... something that would program 20-pin DIP Chip and let me implement simple AND OR gates along with some flip flops. The devlopment has to be very similar to the programming a gal16V8 if not easier.

as i said before i have no need for development board, because i am not about to desolder a chip from $50 development board, just to put it in my circuit.
All the testing i can do on a simple breadboard.

Need Help

"In-circuit programmable" means you solder a new blank device into your project, and then program it (or reprogram it) through a small cable that you temporarily attach to your PC. You don't need a programmer unit.

The development board is only a learning tool, although it includes a download cable that you can use later for programming the device on your board. There's no reason to remove the CPLD from the development board.

You can still buy old DIP package devices (such as Lattice Semiconductor GALs), and programmer units (search Google for "GAL programmer"). However, I haven't seen any DIP package devices that contain more logic than about two or three GAL16V8s. If you want more logic, you need to go surface-mount.

You mentioned Verilog, so if you choose an old GAL device, be sure you can find Verilog synthesis tools that support your chosen device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back