Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for 3-phase stepper driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

walt

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Stepper driver

Need help with 3-phase, 24V, 2.6A stepper driver.
Something simple and not very expensive.

Re: Stepper driver

Here is one 3 phases controler which has been build and works! I just placed the driver portion but if you want the micro (MC68HC912B32CFU8) I can place it there.. This controller is very smooth and even the power here is for a 250 Watts motor, you can taylor it to a smaller motor by changing the output FETS.

The motor I used was from Maxon (Swiss motor) but I think any other 3 phases DC motor could be used by selecting right output pair of N and P channel FETs.

Have Fun.
:p

It's very nice schematics.
But now I've got PCB with L6203 + L6506 for my experiments.
Is it possible to make these chips to drive 3-phase motor?

walt:

Yes I suppose you could use 3 x 6203 to drive a brushless 3 phase DC motor. The dowside of using it (versus 3 pairs of FETs) is that the RDSon of the 6203 is 0.3 ohm! This is very very high. If your motor has very little power then it may be possible to use the ST 6203, but I do not see any advantages compared to 3 pair of FET (milli ohms RDSon)..
Anyway have fun..
Cheers

What pair of FET you suggest to use?
And what about current protection in the schematics above?

Walt:

The above schematic is for a stepper motor, not 3 phases DC brushless.
The one I uploaded is for 3 phases DC Brushless.

In case of a 3 phases brushless DC motor the current control is generally control on each phase switching. So as soon as the the set value (motor dependant) is reach, the switch is then turned off.

As far as the pair of FETs is concerned, I used the lowest RDS on I can place my hands on. Price difference between a very low RDS on an a medium one is not that great anyway. To select a pair use tree search by function (onsemi)

Cheers

Henrik:
I have some achievements while using L6203 + L6506.
The motor is rotating and has enough strenght, but the heat sink is rather hot ( about 65 Celcium ). Is it normal?
How can I reduce current while holding the motor? Now I rely on L6203 current regulating capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back