Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[ARM] Long 1-wire link (10m ... 30m)

Status
Not open for further replies.

memarian

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys,

I'm designing a board for communication between 2 instruments (and doing some other stuff) with these specs :

Wire length : Between 10m ... 30m (depends on the installation environment)

Available wire/cable type : 2 wires of a simple 4x1 or 4x1.5 cable. These aren't twisted pair.The cable is currently installed and the i can't change it or install anything else.

Baud Rate : Minimum 2400bps half-duplex or 1200bps full duplex(but i prefer 9600bps half duplex).

I wanted to use RS485, but i can't (There isn't any available twisted-pair).

On both ends there will be a MCU (Currently is STM32F103) and power will be available , so there won't be any shortage in power.

I'm currently thinking about using 1-wire link with drivers like DS2480B.

Is there anything that i'm missing? any other recommendation?

BTW : on the other 2 conductors of our cable there will a AC 40V-2..4A Power supply that will be rectified
and used for driving a dc motor at one end of the cable.

Thanks.

Last edited:

I would have thought that at 9600bps RS232 would be suitable for a distance of 10 to 30 metres so long as there is not too much electrical noise in the environment

I would have thought that at 9600bps RS232 would be suitable for a distance of 10 to 30 metres so long as there is not too much electrical noise in the environment

Hi,

I only have 2 wires available for this link and RS232 needs 3. (this link is a 2 way link not 1 way)

About the environment noise: the environment noise varies with every installation ,and also the power supply of a motor is on other 2 conductors of the cable.

Hi,

I only have 2 wires available for this link and RS232 needs 3. (this link is a 2 way link not 1 way)

About the environment noise: the environment noise varies with every installation ,and also the power supply of a motor is on other 2 conductors of the cable.
you could OR the TX and RX onto two wires to give you half duplex communication using a master/slave protocol

there was a post on the microchip forum discussing this
https://www.microchip.com/forums/m500934.aspx

You can e.g. use the LIN bus standard. Or any self-designed wired-OR/wired-NAND bus.

It seems that LIN BUS is suitable for my project and transceiver chips are easily available & cheap!

I will study more about LIN BUS and see what happens.

i used to run 10m RS232 cables in the lab easily to one monitor using diode OR and 10k to a status pin at V- to an RS 232 dumb terminal to watch communication in both directions at 9600 in the 70's with no problem, but 6 port MuX boxes to printers would occasional have errors in the office from ground noise , easily fixed as I replied earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back