Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Load Monitor + Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

KENCO

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to monitor a 12 vdc supply rail ( Around 2 A full load) . If the 12 volts begins to drop I would like to switch to a dummy load (to keep the switch supply somewhat loaded so the 12v doesn't just jump right back up), and if/when the supply were to go back to a steady 12 V dc switch back to main load.

Now I thought either a voltage comparator + Latch circuit + MOSFET combination or a Hall Effect linear current sensor (ACS712) comparator + Latch + MOSFET combination would work. But I don't know which one would be the better choice.

Anyone do this before? Suggestions?

Thanks,
K.

This task can be accomplished using simple shunt voltage regulator concept ..
Here is an example:
**broken link removed**
If you need to 'lose' more power you can connect several transistors in parallel and/or add power resistors in series with collectors ..

Regards,
IanP

Status
Not open for further replies.