Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LNA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

We have designed limiter+lna combination in 8-12GHZ frequency range.

Input return loss is poor, it is only 6dB.

Please suggest me how can I improve input return loss?

Can I try with capacitors tuning? If so, please suggest me how to do tuning.

While more detail always helps to get the best of the members here, I would suggest you to go through IEEE papers. You should be able to get enough information on LNA matching as it is a well known and most common problem one would encounter.

Hi,

We have designed limiter+lna combination in 8-12GHZ frequency range.

Input return loss is poor, it is only 6dB.

Please suggest me how can I improve input return loss?

Can I try with capacitors tuning? If so, please suggest me how to do tuning.
-6dB is not too bad for that band but should be improved if it's possible.
-In order to improve the Return Loss, you have to know Input Impedance along that band. So s-parameters must be very well known. But there is a constraint at this point: The Bandwidth
Either you can use cascaded Impedance Matching Circuit that have different Matching Sub-Bands or
You can also apply a feedback to improve the Input return Loss by sacrificing a bit of Power Gain.
There are also some particular techniques but two major are these applicable techniques.
-Using variable capacitor is useless at that band. Forget about it.
-Last but the most important one : Use a physically measured components' models in your simulations.
You should knock the door of Modelithics.( Modelling Company )
-Limiter will also tickle the LNA, take this caution into account. Consider the system has many parameters to play around.

You are using a limiter+LNA combination. That means the limiter is first in place, and actually you are measuring the return loss of the limiter, which is a different story.
Show your schematic and we may give you some ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.