Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM385 differential amplifier for current sensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmandl

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!
It's been a long time, since I last time posted on this forum. And here I am with a problem. I have build myself an v-a meter. V-meter works great, now a-meter it's causing me some trouble. It is like that. I am using LM358 as differential amplifier for current sensing. My calculations are, that I should get approx. 8V on the output of amplifier at 1.41 V of input (3A through 0.47R shunt resistor). But I am getting just 1.43V, same as the input. I also noticed, that I get 1.41V on - input of amplifier, instead of 0V. Can someone at least give me a clue of figuring out my problem, please. Below it's schematic file. One note: I am supplying amplifier with 15V DC, not 5V as it is on schematic.

Attachments

• VA_meter.pdf
    17.8 KB · Views: 119

I don't see where you are measuring the current. :?: The input to the LM358 is open. Where is the 0.47R resistor? Also it is not configured as a differential amplifier.

As far as I know, that's not how you set up a single supply differential amplifier. This is how it's supposed to be:

6_1330274371.png

You can find this and more here:
www.ti.com/lit/ml/sloa091/sloa091.pdf

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

There is no shunt resistor on this schematic, becouse this is just for U-I meter. Voltage drop across shunt is connected to + input of amplifier.
So in this case, there is no option to make amplifier without two resistors on + input?

---------- Post added at 18:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:05 ----------

What if I use LMC6482 for operation amplifier?

You can use a voltage follower (analogue buffer) with an op-amp after the shunt (using the shunt voltage as the input voltage).

Then, you can use the 2 resistors.

As for the LMC6482, I'm downloading the datasheet and will take a look and let you know.

---------- Post added at 23:33 ---------- Previous post was at 23:30 ----------

The LMC6482 is a rail-to-rail input and output op-amp. So, yea, you can use it.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Reactions: bmandl

bmandl

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Ok, thank you very much. I will tested it next week and then I will post full project with pictures.

Ok, I used LMC6482 and tested it. It works, but the output voltage is floating too much, so consequently, displayed current is floating from 1 to 3 Amperes. Why is that and how can I prevent it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back