Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] LM339 Output Always on

Status
Not open for further replies.

necrow

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For my project, I need to evaluate two voltages and output a voltage depending on which one is higher. To accomplish this, I'm using two comparators on the LM339, one with V1 at the + and V2 at the - and one with V2 at the + and V1 at the -. I connected all unused pins to ground, the GND pin to ground, Vcc to 2.0V, and made V1 2.0V and V2 2.5V. I connected a buzzer from 9v to output on each, and they both went off. I'm confused because only one of the buzzers should go off. Any ideas where I went wrong?

Hey,

You might want to connect Vcc to a higher voltage. Look at page one in the datasheet, it says Supply voltage must be atleast 1.5V more than the common-mode voltage. Also be careful when using comparators going close to the rails. Some only work between Vcc-1.2V and GND + 1.2V. Check it out.

Hope it helps
K

- - - Updated - - -

If you look at the schematic you will see that there is a two stage differential amplifier. So you loose about 1.5V in the drop from Vcc. Hence make the power supply atleast 2V more than your input voltages

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment LM139_239_339_Quad_comparator.pdf

Heres the datasheet

I used 9v and it worked, feel like an idiot but thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.