Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LLC or LCC converter Selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

tictac

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I would like to get your advice for designing the power architecture(s) for the following power supply:
Input: 304-456 Vac ( 3 phase)
Output: 50v to 200V - 10A to 100A

I want to select between LLC or LCC converter. which is better for this power and such a output variable current.

Regards

Hello tictac,

Taking the advantage of your post, 'd like to ask if this kind of converters always need a transformer. From what I have seen, all the examples uses a transformer.

Regards

Yes I know about the using of transformer.
I want to know about which is better for good regulation at no load and full load with minimum resonance tank.

Yes I need to have variable voltage from 50 to 200 volts and up to 20kw output power

at that moment i have designed power supply based on LLC topology (220ac to 24V dc, 100 Wt).
but when i tryed to use LLC topology in another PS with regulated output, i faced problem with regulation. once LLC is not PWM, but freq controled, analysys shows that for quite narrow voltage regulation, very wide freq change needed.

Reactions: tictac

tictac

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
at that moment i have designed power supply based on LLC topology (220ac to 24V dc, 100 Wt).
but when i tryed to use LLC topology in another PS with regulated output, i faced problem with regulation. once LLC is not PWM, but freq controled, analysys shows that for quite narrow voltage regulation, very wide freq change needed.

I also have designed power supply based on LLC with L6699 (Vin=220ac Vout=20kv, Iout=10mA) At startup the frequency is high(about 4*F_resonance) after the soft start time, feedback line regulate the outuput voltage proper to load and it goes down near the resonance frequency. L6699 is good selection for LLC but as I know , it is not proper for isolated power supply.
what was your controller IC for LLC? How you calculate Qe and Lr=Lp/Ls ?
Do you use simulation software for your design ? Can you draw Gain-Qe or Gain-Frequency plot for your design?
Can you share with me your information about LLC and above questions?

Regards

i used L6599 and my power supply is isolated. l6599 and L6699 is similar, so i do`nt see why it is not good for isolated ps.
in designing i used refddesigns and guides from ST.
tomorrow, when i get to my work i try to answer other qwestions.

I also worked with L6599 and it has some bug with some features ,So I use L6699.If you see datasheet and application note of L6699 you know it and they improve it.
I also use transformer for increasing output voltage and I use opto-coupler for feedback isolation, but the ground of L6699 is same with ground of Input line voltage (Vac=220v).
I think when you work with 3-phase as your input line the ground of your controller must be isolated from input line (Vac).

Regards

i tryed to draw Gain-Frequency plot (i do not know it is correct or not)

- - - Updated - - -

for calculating transformer parameters i used ST design guide.
parameters of transformer: Lpri=490u, Lleakage=62u
and what is Qe?

Attachments

• LLC char.JPG
    LLC char.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: tictac

tictac

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi guys.

I am willing to study resonant converters.

Can you guys help me to know where I can start studying this subjects? Where to start, books, references?

Kind regards.

AMSA84, search ST site for appnotes AN2644, AN2450 and refdesigns based on L6599, L6699

- - - Updated - - -

and an-1160 from IR

i tryed to draw Gain-Frequency plot (i do not know it is correct or not)

- - - Updated - - -

for calculating transformer parameters i used ST design guide.
parameters of transformer: Lpri=490u, Lleakage=62u
and what is Qe?

Thanks you
Can you give me the link of ST design guide?
Q=(Lr/Cr)^0.5*1/Rac and depended to the load.

Status
Not open for further replies.