Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Live + neutral + earth on PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

kalbun

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am about to design a simple control board for an industrial equipment.

To reduce the amount of cabling, the customer asks to have the earth connection on the PCB - along with live and neutral.
If I remember correctly, there is a safety restriction which forbids having live+neutral+earth on the PCB. You can have live + neutral, provided you respect the safety distances, but not all three.

I wasn't able to find the reference to the document. Can someone help me?

There's no respective rule in the regulations for electronic instrumentation that I know (EN 61010, EN 50178). Standard requirements for protective earth apply: sufficient cross section, corrosion-resistant connection.

Reactions: kalbun

kalbun

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

It is not unusual to have all three connection on one pcb.
Many line filtering circuits use X and Y capacitors connected to all three lines..

Klaus

Reactions: kalbun

kalbun

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for your answers.
In facts, my source of information is a consultant with some experience of CE marking. Years ago I designed a board similar to this one, and he told me "don't put the earth on the PCB or you won't get the CE".

I was in a hurry so didn't investigate further, and he did not provided any EN reference, either. So there are chances he was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.