Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lithium ion battery inflation

Status
Not open for further replies.

nakulnasa

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I have two Lithium Ion Batteries of 12v and capability of providing 6500 ampere for 1 hour. I connected these two batteries in series to add up the voltage to 24 volts, The circuit was kept open for more than three days. Then i noted that the batteries are inflated in their sizes. And their voltage level also was reduced to 5 volts individually. I can't sort out the reason for this inflation.

Can any body help me giving the reason for the inflation.

The battery inflated due to leakage in current and voltage , it happen also due to moisture and dust in the contact part....

Dude, you DO KNOW that lithium batteries can EXPLODE and cause major fires, right?

Take those expanded batteries outside right now and put them in a pail of sand for a couple of days. A swelling battery is a clear indication that it is ready to explode.

A safe lithium battery charger makes sure the battery is not overcharged. The best ones charge EACH cell individually. Also, you have to be careful not to puncture the case.

YouTube - World's Most Dangerous Battery!

YouTube - Lithium Ion battery fire

Thank You for the information and the video was so usefull

Status
Not open for further replies.