Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronic Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Register Log in

Lithium-Ion Battery Charging

pgr2002

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For charging a litiumion Battery of 3.7v capacity, we use charging module(s). I use a small and convenient size charging module with IC TP4056 module, which protects against overload as well as under charging. Now do we need to connect a BMS to this charging process. What I mean to say is : Do we require both of them in the circuit or only a TP4056 module is enough.

c_mitra

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For charging a litiumion Battery of 3.7v capacity, we use charging module(s)
They are designed for use with single cells; the BMS is designed to be used for a battery- a group of cells connected in series. You should use only one of them, not both.

If you use a single cell module, you need to take out the cells from the battery and use a specified charger. The BMS also acts as a charging module.

KlausST

Super Moderator
Staff member
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

When I look at the TI internet site for BMS, then I find folowing subsections:
* chargers
* fuel gauges
* monitors and balancers
* protectors

So your BMS .. what does it do? What features does it have?

Klaus

pgr2002

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have with me some charger modules with protection from overload & undercharging. I also have few BMS. So for charging more than 2 cells, we charge through BMS and for single cell charging only one module is required. thanks for the replies I got.

treez

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Yes, a BMS can actually comprise an SMPS, or even several SMPS's, often flybacks, which pump charge out of any of the series cells, and back into the overall series call stack, so that no cell overcharges.

But a BMS can also be far simpler than that...in other words, just say a comparator across each cell, and indicating when that cell has reached full charge.
--- Updated ---

..oh i see TP4056 is a linear regulator with vin(max) = 8V...so you can only use it to charge 1 Li cell anyway.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor