Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linux on Xilinx's Virtex II Pro (PowerPC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

elektrom

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
xilinx linux powerpc

Anybody known where can i download linux for virtex ii pro?

(Also uclinux for Microblaze)

THX

xilinx powerpc linux

Metroweks has a software : CodeWarrior EPPC , Embedded Linux for PowerPC. I wanted to know if it is possible in an way to use this package code development in Xilinx Virtex-II Pro designs. Or may be this package can be used only in mot. PowerPC devices?

Any idea?

programing xilinx virtex sram

Metroweks has a software : CodeWarrior EPPC , Embedded Linux for PowerPC. I wanted to know if it is possible in an way to use this package code development in Xilinx Virtex-II Pro designs. Or may be this package can be used only in mot. PowerPC devices?

Any idea?

why port linux on xilinx virtex-ii pro

(It is very interesting,
After one year of work and sending over 150 posts to this forum, Now my points has reached to 0 from 200! and I can't download ebooks because my points is low.)

Any how, completely correct : Montavista Linux is supported by CodeWarrior EPPC, so just provide an ethernet or serial communication port on you virtex-II Pro board and then you will be able to debug your code, using codewarrior.

virtex ii pro powerpc

I'm trying to ask my boss to by ML300 board. It's a complete development kit for Virtex II Pro with preview version of Linux from monta vista.

BTW, This board is too expensive. I'm not sure that we could get it or not. I'm also looking for the other ways too. Perhaps, we will make our own board. Is it worth to do? Do you have any solution?

running linux on virtex ii pro ppc 405

First of all, I think xilinx has provided the complete Virtex-IIP SDK with its ISE 5. Looking in the Xilinx directory of ISE 5, you will find a folder : smartmodels, with a big .tar.gz file in it. Unzupping the file you will find many tools and models. ( Correct ? )

Then, really do we need to have a board with Virtex-II on it for completing our project. In normal FPGA projects, you can do the entire design with out having any physical access to your target device. Simulation is very near to what happens when you implement the circuit on a board. And here, we have some additional components such as Rocket I/O and PPC in virtex-II which add some new design techniques to our projects.

I have a question: We know the above mentioned linux operating system is compatible with PPC-405, I wanted to know, if it is possible in any way to simulate the entire FPGA chip operation while the powerpc inside V2P is running This linux's instructions. e.g. can we simulate the start up operation of PPC inside V2P, running Linux?

Do we really need a board, or we can simulate the entire process?

xilinx virtex ii pro powerpc

You can simulate all the hardware components (FPGA logic, PowerPC, RocketIO) using SmartModels, but you have to work at a very low level and the simulation can be done at a very slow speed. I think, other tools like Seamless CVE can also co-simulate both the software part (software instructions, OS system calls, etc.) and the hardware part (FPGA logic).

Simulating entire design is a good idea. We may have to use a server farm to do this. I'm not sure that the tools such as Riviera from Aldec could help us or not? I never try it before.

Anyway, I'll try with ModelSim first. If anybody could sucessfully simulate it, please let me know.

In V-II Pro developer's kit, there are three reference designs that use powerpc and fpga together.
You can simulate them with Modelsim and make the last bitstream file.

In these ref, small codes are located in Block RAM and the powerpc starts reading and executing the code.
If you want to use Linux on V-IIp, I guess the code has to be store in the external memory.

Then what about code development process. Suppose that I want to debug my PowerPC program using codeWarrior. CodeWarrior needs to be connected to the target board with a serial link. Can I use two computers, one running codewarrior, and another as FPGA simulator? Then can I connect these two systems with a serial port, and write an additional program to send the required data from simulator to serial port, ( e.g. using PLI it may be possible. )
OK! Using a simulator like NC verilog for entire desogn, may be slow, what about co-simulation? I do not know a lot about it. can you describe the idea more?

See http://www.mind.be

You may get a free source code for Linux on V2P. They ported linux to this board.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.