Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linux on 8086/ARM based board

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbprashanth

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.

I was wondering if it is possible to run a miniature version of linux on an 8086 or an ARM based board. The goal is to have internet working via ethernet and have a basic GNOME based browser.

Also, if possible, i would like to design the board myself rather than going in for boards like the beagle board.

I would like it if anyone could give me some advice on the topic and help me get started.

Also, If anyone knows any similar projects, please suggest.

Thanks.

Software integration is easy specially with the automated tools like buildroot or angstrome.
--
Amr

Hi.

I was wondering if it is possible to run a miniature version of linux on an 8086 or an ARM based board. The goal is to have internet working via ethernet and have a basic GNOME based browser.

Also, if possible, i would like to design the board myself rather than going in for boards like the beagle board.

I would like it if anyone could give me some advice on the topic and help me get started.

Thanks.

Yes it is possible to run a small linux. You should have at least 2~4 Mb of memory.
About the browser , look at Common Gateway Interface (CGI).

Reactions: mperic

mperic

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks for answering. What linux are you talking about here? Any particular distro like frmto OS?

I am buldiong my own embedded OS. A linux kernel, a xenomai kernel for real time , busybox for set of linux commands to incorporate in the board. a I like to control tools i would like to use or not.

You can also look at ELDK .

Reactions: mperic

mperic

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I use angstrom distributions!
--
Amr

@amraldo & @happyman4ever

Do you people design your own hardware or do you use something like the beagle board? I would like to make a very simple board myself if possible to run even a basic linux. This is mostly an academic endeavour.... :)

Also, any tutorials you guys know of?

Thanks for your help so far guys...

Hi.

Thanks.

Definitely possible.
1) if you want ready-made small distro then consider DSL, Austrumi for x86 paltform.
2) if you want your own version get buildroot and mention your architecture and create your own.

If i remember correctly 5 years back i have created a X86 RFS with gcc, perl, python, X, GTK and fluxbox in 270MB, I have used the uclibc for the libc.

You also can use LFS, BLFS,CLFS family for the same too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back