Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

linux not able to detect hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

pimr

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
i have bought a new hp pc and windows 2000 is installed on it. i want to install linux on this machine but when i try to do this it says that it is not able to detect hard disk.I tried redhat9.2 as well as mandrake but the problem still persists.I think these distributions are not having proper driver!
pimr

SATA or IDE drive?

Hi

Inter OR AMD?
32-bits OR 64-bits?

Try 7.2 too.
I have good success stories from 7.2 in such difficult situations.

tnx

hello inm y opinion u should try some version of red hat maybe 8.0 or above,since version 7.2 is not suited to the latest hardware and display may not be initialized properly.and if u are a linux newbie u may lots of trouble installing the drivers for display.RH 8.0 recognises new hard ware or maybe u could try fedora core 2 also which i feel is very good.

regards
amarnath

maybe the reason is all of your disc be formated with fat/ntfs. you would be try to repartition it.
normally, i reserved enough unformated space to install linux.

hi,
it is sata drive and i am using red hat 9.2.thanks in advance
regards
pimr

I think the problem is about Master Boot Record (MBR). You have to leave C partition blank (more than 700MB) and install your Win-OS on drive D. Because all OS has to recognize MBR to be bootable. After that Linux can be installed on unpartitioned part.

Regards,
KH

Hi pimr,
you have to use a 2.6.x kernel. The old 2.4.x kernel does not support SATA drives. I don't know which kernel comes with Red Hat 9.2 since I'm using Debian.
Regards, ep20k.

Which version of Mandrake did you tried? The latest one (10.1) has kernel 2.6 and supports SATA.

you should install windows first, then install linux

Red Hat installer can't detect S-ATA harddisk. Unless you find out a way to upgrade to kernel 2.6.x before full installation.

use redhat enterprise 3 for SATA hd
or FC2 & FC3 with little minor bugs

I'm trying to install CentOS 3.5 on my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, and I got the same problem (no hard drive have been found). !! ..
I wonder what should be the reason ! .. I have my XP on C and I guess I shouldn't remove XP in order to add linux .. I also have tried both Ext3 and empty space for the partition that I want to install CentOS on .. but with no success ! ..
Should I do anything about having a certain partition (Active) ?

Once i receive this (no hard drives have been found), the installation asks me to manually chose device drivers for installation to succeed .. and for sure I get lost in those driver lists ! ..

what should i do then ? .. anyone experience similar problem with Dell Inspiron ?

omara007 said:
I'm trying to install CentOS 3.5 on my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop, and I got the same problem (no hard drive have been found). !! ..
I wonder what should be the reason ! .. I have my XP on C and I guess I shouldn't remove XP in order to add linux .. I also have tried both Ext3 and empty space for the partition that I want to install CentOS on .. but with no success ! ..
Should I do anything about having a certain partition (Active) ?

Once i receive this (no hard drives have been found), the installation asks me to manually chose device drivers for installation to succeed .. and for sure I get lost in those driver lists ! ..

what should i do then ? .. anyone experience similar problem with Dell Inspiron ?

The fine choice for most detectable hardware set is FreeBSD,
Even where RHEL 4 also unable to detect hardware!!

tnx

jimjim2k said:

tnx

My problem is that I'm stuck to some software tools that I know definetly that it will run on CentOS 3 .. yet, I don't have any information about how to compare different linux from the point of view of whethere it will run specific EDA tool or not .. Cadence and Synopsys most of the time mention RedHat and Suse only ..

omara007 said:
jimjim2k said:

tnx

My problem is that I'm stuck to some software tools that I know definetly that it will run on CentOS 3 .. yet, I don't have any information about how to compare different linux from the point of view of whethere it will run specific EDA tool or not .. Cadence and Synopsys most of the time mention RedHat and Suse only ..

FreeBSD comes with a mode called "Linux Binary Compatibility".
Refer to it.
This means that, without any sort or emulation overhead, FreeBSD can run about 90 percent of all Linux applications without modification. This includes applications such as StarOffice, Netscape, Adobe Acrobat, RealPlayer, and more complicated applications like VMWare and the Oracle database server. In some situations, Linux binaries perform better on FreeBSD than they do on Linux.

1. h**p://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/03/17/linuxapps.html

* -> t

tnx

Redhat AS 3.6(update6) can support SATA.
Of course,you can also install centos3.6.

Status
Not open for further replies.