Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linux installation parallel to windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think it is better to use vmware software for virtual linux i.e you need to install vmware software and then copy the linux boot files then open with vmware

Re: Linux installation

You can do it.
1) see if you can free off some space in your hard disk.
2) search for "dual booting winXP and Linux" on internet.
3) Backup your WinXP before venturing
4) follw as the tutorial says you to do.

Ohh yes why install a full linux Use a LiveCD/DVD from Fedora/Ubuntu or anything.
if you like it then try installing afterward ;)

I have XP running in Virtual Box with the host Ubuntu 10.10....works very well and it's easy to set up..
rt

Ohh yes why install a full linux Use a LiveCD/DVD from Fedora/Ubuntu or anything.
if you like it then try installing afterward ;)

I tried it and i was able to access....
But my problem is I already had my UBUNTU installed, I also have VMWARE installed but couldn't open Linux from it....

I tried it and i was able to access....
But my problem is I already had my UBUNTU installed, I also have VMWARE installed but couldn't open Linux from it....

Can you please elaborate so that I may be of help .
Do you mean you installed UBUNTU in to a VMware VM and unable to run the VM under VMware???

please elaborate your situation.

As already said, i have installed UBUNTU and ic oudl dual boot....
I also installed VMWare and i tried to run UBUNTU in VM by browsing it....couldn't browse UBUNTU from this situation....

I had no other option but to install OPEN SUSE separately again....using Live CD/DVD...and did it...

As already said, i have installed UBUNTU and ic oudl dual boot....
I also installed VMWare and i tried to run UBUNTU in VM by browsing it....couldn't browse UBUNTU from this situation....

I had no other option but to install OPEN SUSE separately again....using Live CD/DVD...and did it...

if you are trying to boot the Linux Instalation from physical hard drive, within VMware or any virtual machine then it is a bad practice.
Some times it will not able to determine the geometry. But it can be done with settings on VM.
Still I will say DON'T Do it.

What harm in it, anyway i will be allocating the physical space on my drive while installation....isn't it like browsing for a application and opening it?

What harm in it, anyway i will be allocating the physical space on my drive while installation....isn't it like browsing for a application and opening it?
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

See ultimately what ever you create partition or file they reside on HDD I agree.
Let's assume some thing here.
you have total 4 partitions
you have installed FC13 on a single partition and have a swap partition and
You have 2 free partition on your harddisk.

on one frr partition you installed, say , slackware 12
and the other free partition is currently blank.

Now you booted FC13 and created a VM and for storage you directed the remaining free partition. and on it you installed slackware 12 too.

now My question is if those partitions sizes are same from the Host OS(FC13) do you think i can interchange them?

In my view no because from inside VM the partition looks like a real HDD so the guest treats it as a harddisk not as a partition. So it will put all the necessary stuffs required for HDD, ( Well how they are translated is a different business altogether)

Well Now tell me what you think???
I will be very happy to help you.

In my view no because from inside VM the partition looks like a real HDD so the guest treats it as a harddisk not as a partition. So it will put all the necessary stuffs required for HDD, ( Well how they are translated is a different business altogether)

I agree with you with the above point...may be i am missing the point that partinioning done separately doesn't mean it will be seen as a partition and can be accessed from VM...i will be seeing the whole HDD as one from my VM from where i need to install my OS separately..
So, i have to partition again from my VM to install a new OS...
Am i right?

I agree with you with the above point...may be i am missing the point that partinioning done separately doesn't mean it will be seen as a partition and can be accessed from VM...i will be seeing the whole HDD as one from my VM from where i need to install my OS separately..
So, i have to partition again from my VM to install a new OS...
Am i right?
I guess so...
are you planning for data centre set-up???
I actually want to know how a small datacenter can be set-up locally for a small business.

No, i was experimenting on my PC...By data-center you mean server?

I am also facing another problem..As per our discussion it is clear that i can't use VM to run the installation i have done previously...
So, using a live DVD i have installed OPEN SUSE....

I am using wireless internet device....which has set up for windows and none for open suse...
I want to access internet in VM using this dongle..any tips on this?

Well not server, but some sort of. Datacenter is a kind of server but consolidated.
I am also facing another problem..As per our discussion it is clear that i can't use VM to run the installation i have done previously...

I am using wireless internet device....which has set up for windows and none for open suse...

Yes you can do it. You have to tell your virtual machine manager to share the raw hardware. Then your Guest OS will be able to see
the hardware. Now you can use it.

---------- Post added at 08:22 ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 ----------

Well not server, but some sort of. Datacenter is a kind of server but consolidated.

Yes you can do it. You have to tell your virtual machine manager to share the raw hardware. Then your Guest OS will be able to see
the hardware. Now you can use it.

I have done all those settings in the OPEN SUSE...
I could disconnect the device from WINDOWS and detect from VM....
As soon as it tries to detect it sends out a warning message and opens a bug tool for reporting the error....

I am using MBLAZE device for internet...
Did you use this device with OPEN SUSE or UBUNTU...

I even tried to browse for this problem...but couldn't get the points raised in those articles...
Can you help me out...?

I am using MBLAZE device for internet...
Did you use this device with OPEN SUSE or UBUNTU...

I even tried to browse for this problem...but couldn't get the points raised in those articles...
Can you help me out...?

No my friend I am using Fedora for last 7 years. of-course some time I use Slackware but generally i use Fedora.

The quickest and easiest way is to install Linux on a separate hard drive and use your BIOS boot menu to select which hard drive (OS) to boot. You don't have to mess with any boot loaders or VM's or MBR's - see the description below...

This is how I set it up: (I currently have two hard drives inside my computer - one with Windows 7, and one with Debian.)
1. Connect only one hard drive inside the computer.
2. Install Windows onto it. (You can skip this step if you already have windows installed...)
3. Reboot the computer and go into the BIOS setup - find and record the hard drive's name/description/part-number string as shown in the boot setup menus (where you select the boot order for the drives).
4. Turn the computer off and unplug the hard drive for windows.
5. Connect the second hard drive inside the computer.
6. Install Linux onto it. (Since the windows hard drive is not connected, there is no risk in wrecking your windows install.)
7. Again, reboot the computer and go into the BIOS setup - find and record the hard drive's name/description/part-number string.
8. Turn the computer off and re-connect the windows hard drive. You will now have both hard drives installed...
7. Start the computer and go into the BIOS setup - set your preferred boot order for the drives. I have it setup to boot to the OS that I use the most...
9. Restart the computer and press F8 when the BIOS screen shows - then select the hard drive to boot from... (This works for my ASUS motherboard - other brands may not have this feature or may have a different way of implementing the boot menu...) If you want to boot to the default, there is no need to press F8 and access this menu...

Overall, this has been working well for me - I never have to worry about boot loaders and MBR's anymore...

Both windows and Linux can see the other hard drive, and it is easy to setup a partition that can be shared between the two...

You can install or re-install any OS using the same method - you are only limited by the number of hard drives you can connect. Just remember to disconnect all existing hard drives before installing a new OS onto a new drive...

You should, first of all, install windows xp, and leave enough space for linux, then you should install linux because you can install linux on windows system and you can't do otherwise

Hello,

yes you could do this.
For 3. you need only to install VMWARE (or VirtualBox) and then install SUSE (or the Linux you want) in VMWARE (or VirtualBox).
I have no experience with wubi. But when you start Ubuntu and you don't get to a graphical desktop your installation doesn't work.
The Grub line indicates that linux has not been started (Grub is a boot loader for Linux)

The network connection works as easily as in windows. There is an "antenna symbol" in the desktop. Just click on it and select the network.

Hi i have ubuntu running parllely along with windows.
I have installed ubuntu using WUBI.
If i don't switch to UBUNTU for some time some I/O eror is occuring and im unable to log in to UBUNTU.
I need to re install ubuntu all over again.
Can any body fix this problem.

Can i run 3 os in this way..

1.windows running normally
2.ubuntu using wubi
3.SUSE using VMWARE

Status
Not open for further replies.