Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linux installation parallel to windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

embeddedlover

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Linux installation

I have windows XP installed in my system with 2GB RAM,160GB hard disk.
I want to install LINUX also parallely.
can i do it?

i don't have much knowledge of these linux softwares
can anybody suggest me free LINUX os available over net and how to install?

Re: Linux installation

google for "dual boot linux XP", the first link seems ok.

THe kind of distribution is really up to you. Most people stick with one of the first they tried. Ubuntu seems ok, I use Fedora, but really get your hands dirty on it and decide for yourself.

Linux installation

As svhb said the distro is your choice and it is really easy to install a dual boot using any modern Distro like Fedora or Ubuntu.

I believe you can install Ubuntu from within windows also.

Added after 5 minutes:

Also check this video out :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa8v3AMFDtg

Thanks for the information.

I have OPEN SUSE 11.1 with me. Can i install it?
Which is easier? UBUNTU or OPEN SUSE or FEDORAL?
what about CENTOS?

can any body provide basic differences between all above.

You can also try it first in a virutal machine like VMWare or VirtualBox. The last one is free to use.

can you explain me more about VMWARE.

Linux installation

you can also try puppy linux which can run directly from cd
if you like it you can also install to he hard disk

VMWare is a piece of software that creates a virtual pc on your current machine. You can run another operating system without shutting down your PC. The guest operating system does not know that it runs in a virtual environment.

So if you run Windows, Windows is called the host operating system. The program will create a kind of virtual harddisk (just a file on your host system), that the guest operating system can use as hard drive. The VMWare software redirects all red/write operations to a physical device to the file on your windows system. The virtualisation software takes care about all hardware that way (etherenet connections, usb devices, sound card, ...)

Virtualbox does the same, but is free to use. For VMWare, you need to pay.

I tried both, and since I like free (open source) software, VirtualBox is my choice.

there is another free soft from microsoft called virtual pc (vpc) that you can
download from their official site, i am using it with a version of ubuntu for a while
it is very stable

thanx 4 all ur replies
i hav tried wubi to install ubuntu
now i have dual booted my PC.
it worked fine
now during start up im able to select between either windows XP or UBUNTU
only after i came 2 know d security features in that

now im facing a problem
i couldn't connect to internet under UBUNTU
what settings should i make?
can anybody guide me?

Linux installation

Quite good informations are available, for multi operating system installation on single hard disk, at
www.vlsifaqs.blogspot.com

It has details about how to install Solaris, RHEL, CENTOS, etc... on a single hard disk or multiple hard disks.

You can ask your specific questions there itself as comment.

Hopes this information will help you guys, in some manner.

can anybody help me how i can connect to internet in UBUNTU what settings should i make....

Added after 15 minutes:

When i try to open UBUNTU after boot up it is going to command prompt automatically
and shows

grub>

what should i enter here to go to my desktop?

Installing Linux on a Dead Badger book is a collection of Lucy Snyder's humorous essays, fiction and articles, some culled from places like "Strange Horizons" and "Spacesuits and Six-Guns" and some brand new. I read Installing Linux on a Dead Badger book which gives good information too. Finding great solution for Linux.

svhb said:
VMWare is a piece of software that creates a virtual pc on your current machine. You can run another operating system without shutting down your PC. The guest operating system does not know that it runs in a virtual environment.

So if you run Windows, Windows is called the host operating system. The program will create a kind of virtual harddisk (just a file on your host system), that the guest operating system can use as hard drive. The VMWare software redirects all red/write operations to a physical device to the file on your windows system. The virtualisation software takes care about all hardware that way (etherenet connections, usb devices, sound card, ...)

Virtualbox does the same, but is free to use. For VMWare, you need to pay.

I tried both, and since I like free (open source) software, VirtualBox is my choice.

I think is a very good choice. I usually install window$ and ubuntu, but this time i'm going to install ubuntu and window$ using VirtualBox, it works very well.

Regards.

Linux installation

Doe anybody have the experience of using UBUNTU?

ubuntu is of open source type.in this mian advantage is that here all .exe files which are main problem for virus (virus are of main .exe files) .That why virus will be restricted then speed of internet & speed of pc also goes up.So try it once. very helpful.

----------------------------------

funny movies

classic movies

hi i run 3 o/s on my machine ,the easy method is to install win xp first,then run lin cd,lin will see the win partition then use create to make hte root / part and make a swap part and user part then ur done .or lin will automatical make the part 4 u.I sed mandrake and red-hat.

Hi i have ubuntu running parllely along with windows.
I have installed ubuntu using WUBI.
If i don't switch to UBUNTU for some time some I/O eror is occuring and im unable to log in to UBUNTU.
I need to re install ubuntu all over again.
Can any body fix this problem.

Can i run 3 os in this way..

1.windows running normally
2.ubuntu using wubi
3.SUSE using VMWARE

In addition to above i have another doubt...

If i install Vmware in my PC (which has dual boot option, UBUNTU and Win XP), can i boot up UBUNTU from XP...
Remember that i have installed UBUNTU using WUBI and partition has been done automatically....

Status
Not open for further replies.