Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linux distribution for Electronics Engineers

Status
Not open for further replies.

the.cycler

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everybody!

I'm trying to make a flavor of SUSE Linux for Electronics Engineers.

A lot of useful apps for us will be installed by default and newer ones can be installed from the repositories.
It is made with **broken link removed** and is based on OpenSuse 11.3

I have made progress, it is very usable and I would appreciate your comments and help.

Please visit project CEELD homepage, download and test the distro and give me feedback -positive or negative, will help me improve...

Hi, sounds interesting. I have couple questionsis. 1)where is list of included apps? 2)baudline(software spectrum analyzer) included?
Thanks

Sorry Takeshi-san, baudline is not included. It is not in the repos either. It must be installed separately! (probably from source code...)

List will come in a later post soon.

edit: I see that baudline has an appropriate executable (32 bit intel) provided at its site. No problem then. And Jack framework is easily installed if needed. Currently CEELD includes only ALSA.

Last edited:

Hello everybody!

I'm trying to make a flavor of SUSE Linux for Electronics Engineers.

A lot of useful apps for us will be installed by default and newer ones can be installed from the repositories.
It is made with **broken link removed** and is based on OpenSuse 11.3

I have made progress, it is very usable and I would appreciate your comments and help.

Please visit project CEELD homepage, download and test the distro and give me feedback -positive or negative, will help me improve...

Don't know about SUSE though.
There is already a Live spin Fedora Electronic. search for it .

Thanks bluehole, actually the excellent FEL gave me the "inspiration" for this...

CEELD is not targeted to the microchip designer at all like FEL. It is more or less for the majority of electronic engineers around the globe who deal with devices rather than chips. Although HDL languages are or will be supported in CEELD for education purposes.

Most interesting packages installed are:

avrdude,
broadcom-wl,
broadcom-wl-kmp-pae,
calculator,
cantor,
compat-wireless-kmp-pae,
compat-wireless-scripts,
cross-avr-binutils,
cross-avr-gcc45,
dia,
dinotrace,
dosbox,
electronics-menu,
flash-player,
freehdl,
FreeRapid,
gcc,
gcc-c++,
geda-docs,
geda-examples,
geda-gattrib,
geda-gnetlist,
geda-gschem,
geda-gsymcheck,
geda-symbols,
geda-utils,
geda-xgsch2pcb,
gerbv,
ghostview,
gnucap,
gparted,
gspiceui,
gtkwave,
gwave2,
gwenview,
inkscape,
inkscape-extensions-extra,
inkscape-extensions-skencil,
ipw-firmware,
iw,
iwl3945-ucode,
iwl4965-ucode,
iwl5000-ucode,
iwl5150-ucode,
iwl6000-ucode,
iwl6050-ucode,
k3b,
k3b-codecs,
kcalc,
kdenetwork4,
kdm,
kernel-pae,
kicad,
kicad-doc,
kicad-library,
koffice2-doc,
koffice2-karbon,
koffice2-kformula,
koffice2-krita,
koffice2-kspread,
koffice2-kthesaurus,
koffice2-kword,
konsole,
ksimus,
ksnapshot,
ktechlab,
ktorrent,
libgeda,
libiw30,
lyx,
madwifi,
madwifi-kmp-pae,
mhtml-firefox,
MozillaFirefox
ndiswrapper,
NetworkManager,
NetworkManager-kde4,
ng-spice-rework,
ntfs-3g,
ntfsprogs,
okular,
p7zip,
peazip,
piklab,
qucs,
scilab,
sdcc,
sdcc-doc,
simulavr,
skype,
tcllib,
tclplug,
tclx,
tkgate,
verilog,
vim,
vlc,
vlc-mozillaplugin,
wcalc,
wine,
wine-doors,
wireless-tools,
xcircuit,

Great, And I hope You will include tools for ARM too. Thanks for your adventure.
Well Another request Will you make it on directFB so it can avoid X.

Great, And I hope You will include tools for ARM too. Thanks for your adventure.
Well Another request Will you make it on directFB so it can avoid X.

What ARM tools do you have in mind? I'm not familiar with any, sorry....
DirectFB is installed but X is the default. I think most of us nowadays have machines than run decent X. I have not tested directfb yet.

Great, Happy to hear that.

My best wishes

What ARM tools do you have in mind? I'm not familiar with any, sorry....
DirectFB is installed but X is the default. I think most of us nowadays have machines than run decent X. I have not tested directfb yet.

For ARM try to include a ARM cross toolchain. gcc-arm will be grate. similarly Ti's MSP-430 is also a great controller. I guess gcc for MSP is also available.

Well X is good, I don't have problem with X too. DirectFB is better for small systems with less resources. specially for embedded devices.

In a later release I will add some more things, probably gcc-arm as well.
In the mean time there is a newer release out...
Check CEELD and test the distribution if you have time.

I want to hear from people testing CEELD.
Any feedback about things working or not working as expected, is welcome...
Or any comment you feel like making, for that matter...

Thanks everybody!

What a wonderful linux distribution! But it won't replace the windows unless thounds of months.

There is nothing like replacing something.
it is like exploring something New.

Writing a code in VB is easier than writing a code in C++.
But does VB replaced C++? No...
It is a matter of choice. I use Linux for all of my purpose for last 10 years. Can I say i replaced Windows with Linux? Well sort of but people i work with use Windows so I can't avoid Windows.

Agree with bluehole writing code in vb is more easir.

Thanks for the info on SAGE! That looks pretty cool. Integrates quite a few useful components, including indeed R. :)

Regarding R, for an easy way to integrate all those statistical capabilities into your own C++ programs, check out RInside. Pretty easy to use.

SAGE also has a reasonably large international community (as does R)...I continue to be amazed at the amount and quality of teh open source software available for science, engineering and mathematics....I have been following SAGE for 3 years and it has come a long way...hopefully it's progress will continue!~
rt

Well, compilation from source went almost without problems. Just needed 1 workaround to get it working. It also has pari/gp and octave, I like it already! :) Now if it only had some OpenCL FFT implementation it would be perfect. :p

And going back to the OP:
How about adding sage to your distro? Or if that is too mathy and not EE enough, how about ... LTspice? Because I missed that one on your list. And if you cannot do that due to license, what you /can/ do is the time honored method of writing a wrapper package that downloads the latest ltspice .zip, displays the license, and after pressing yeah-yeah-I-accept it installs it. And you could do the exact same wrapper thing with say eaglecad. Both these are free for non-commercial use.

Also, I don't know where you grab your upstream packages, but ... I noticed sdcc on the list, but not sdcc-nf. Make sure you check out the sdcc package with the "nonfree" stuff, since that has some useful extras that are not in the base package. At least for example on debian such is the case.

Have fun with your distro!

Status
Not open for further replies.