Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Link budget calculations for WLAN ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

abuantenna

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
link budget 5.8ghz

Hi,

Is there any good site give good summary of designing indoor wireless communication link for 2.45 adn 5.8 GHz bands?

I've read many things about Eb/No and noise figure. I can calculate required power transmitter if some variables are availbale.
I'd like to connect between many ideas. There is one link give something called alpha= bit rate* noise figure*(Eb/No)/(Pr/No)
I couldn't understand this equation!!!
Also, in many IEEE standards, there is nothing about antennas gain. There is something about power sensitivity. Is this the minimum received power ??
Also, how much Eb/No for QPSK? and how they calculated already ??

Regards

link calculation+wlan

I think that is a mistake in your equation:
…..(Eb/No)/(Pr/No) is equal with Eb/Pr….that means No is disappeared

wlan link budget calculation

Hello,

In factm it is not my equation. It is from one presentation from Berkeley university!!
I agree with you. There is something I can't understand.

Regards

The guys from Berkeley are humans also…two hands, two legs and one brain…they can make mistakes as anyone else.

Hello,

Yes, you are absolutely right. I agree. But, still the problem where is the correct equation? What is the real equation for parameter alpha, which means loss factor, as I understand?

Regards

WLAN link budget is dictated by the radiated throughput and range where SNR will fall off, increasing the Packet Error Rate.
Sensitivity in the 802.11 standard is defined as the minimum input level of the received signal at which the certain Packet Error Rate occurs.
For WLAN is no antenna specifications as we have in cellular radios. Sometimes you can find some recommendations for antenna gain and pattern, to maintain the range.
Here you can find sensitivity values and some relations between BER/PER and Eb/No:
http://www.analogzone.com/hft_0505.pdf

abuantenna

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

I fully understand you. In fact, I did calculations for requirments for 2.4 GHz and 5.8 GHz bands.
I used standard specifications as in **broken link removed**
I discovered that we don't need an antenna (or antenna with 0dBm will be enough) for the case of 5.75 GHz band!!!
That was a real surprise for me. So, I decided to search more about the matter.

Regards

There is no type of wireless mobile network that requires more than 0dBd (-2.14dBi) antenna gain, on the mobile side. So, your calculation is ok.

Hi,

Oh, that's great. Is it standard for mobile netowrks? I mean: is it kind of policy for any WLAN ??

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back