Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Linearity problem in designing VCO

Status
Not open for further replies.

somf0872

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everybody,

I have a non-commercial HBT (got the ADS model from specific foundry) for designing 6.67GHz VCO. Everything works fine when I used lumped resonator (4 element resonator circuit LC in parallel and 2 C's in series, like pi shape)

The moment I transform this lumped model of resonator into distributed model, the linearity error (tuning error --> derivative of frequency voltage slope) increases.

In distributed model, I m using interdigital capacitor for C's in series, the OC stub for shunt C and non-ideal transmission line for shunt L.

Does anybody have an idea where the error is???

I tried different model of distributed resonator but all in vain!!!

--X--

The tuning BW is about 320 MHz with fo=6.67GHz, while varactor voltage is varied from 1 to 10V.

Hello somf0872,

Your HB model with lumped element(spacial case of distributed elements) work maybe problem is that you use infinite Q for lumped elements ? If it is case you can try with real Q you can expect from distribudet elements around 20-80 max. Real Q have to give quite different linearity frequency to tuning voltage (different Q giving different slope).

GL XTASA:idea:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back