Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

limitations in FFT in matlab?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piierre

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a question regarding using FFT i MATLAB

When I make an FFT of a small number of periods of a signal the frequencys are moved up to a larger value, for example a signal with the frequency 3Hz are shown in the FFT plot as 3.5Hz and so on. If I increase the number of periods used to make the FFT the value closes in to the real one. It seems like the offset has an exponential relation to the number of periods
Anybody knows why this is? Is it rounding in Matlab or limitations in the FFT algorithm or what?

Piierre said:
I have a question regarding using FFT i MATLAB

When I make an FFT of a small number of periods of a signal the frequencys are moved up to a larger value, for example a signal with the frequency 3Hz are shown in the FFT plot as 3.5Hz and so on. If I increase the number of periods used to make the FFT the value closes in to the real one. It seems like the offset has an exponential relation to the number of periods
Anybody knows why this is? Is it rounding in Matlab or limitations in the FFT algorithm or what?

I guess the total time of your time simulation gives you the lowest bound of your frequency signal that you can observe in fft. Eg if you run 1 sec, you get 1Hz. If you run 10 sec, you get 0.1 Hz, etc

Correct me if I am wrong

well that is correct but what has it got to do with my question?

Piierre said:
well that is correct but what has it got to do with my question?

the time to compute the freq spectrum gives you the lowest bound of freq, and this is nothing to correlate matlab's computation power. It is the loss of accuracy when you map a continuous signal by a discrete signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back