Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lightning Simulator Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

proslion

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am working on a lightning sensor. So I have to design a lightning simulator which I will use to test my sensor in the lab. The problem is where to start on the simulator circuit. So can someone help about designing a lightning simulator

Does your sensor detect radio frequency static? Or is it a photodetector?

If it detects rf, then you can produce static bursts by scratching wires together which are hooked up to a flashlight battery.

Does your sensor detect radio frequency static? Or is it a photodetector?

If it detects rf, then you can produce static bursts by scratching wires together which are hooked up to a flashlight battery.

Yes it detects Radio frequency statics, I'm going to try that and observe the results. So in terms of the antenna, I was thinking of using a telescopic antenna for demonstration. Will this antenna work properly for detection of those statics.

Yes. The sparks transmit on all frequencies.

A similar experiment is described at the webpage below. They use a 9-volt battery to make sparks near an AM radio.

**broken link removed**

Yes. The sparks transmit on all frequencies.

A similar experiment is described at the webpage below. They use a 9-volt battery to make sparks near an AM radio.

**broken link removed**

Thanks for the information. I have seen the experiment. I will be in touch.

There are commercial units for airborne detection and ranging of lightning strikes. The first brand was "Stormscope." There are now other brands. The literature is probably scant on technical details, but searching on Stormscope may get some useful information for you. Here is one link: **broken link removed**

Wikipedia also has a section on lightning detection (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_detection). There is a brief discussion of antenna types. Reference 1 in that section looks like it may be right on topic.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back