Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

lighting protection vs. surge protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevindd992002

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm in the Philippines and local-branded extension cords here have a feature called lightning protection. I don't know what the heck is that but is it the same as surge protection? I couldn't find any information on Google regarding this.

Lightning protection means an overvoltage coupled into the line(e.g. through a lightning stroke). Another form is ESD created by static voltages. Surge is an overload condition and like a shortage. Here you have to limit the current.

Enjoy your design work!

Lightning protection means an overvoltage coupled into the line(e.g. through a lightning stroke). Another form is ESD created by static voltages. Surge is an overload condition and like a shortage. Here you have to limit the current.

Enjoy your design work!

So basically lightning protection is different from surge protection?

I'm asking this because I have a power strip that has a lightning protection feature and I'm wondering if I could use it safely in extending the outlets of my UPS. It is not recommended to connect a power strip with Surge Protection into the outlets of the UPS because of the MOVs inside it.

Sometime an short overvoltage burst is define also as a surge(e.g. 2kV, 5ns, low energy on 50 ohm for machines test). A lightning pulse on the power line could be much more energetic, but maybe not as fast as a surge(defines in DIN 61000-4-4). If your UPS has a ESD protection it will cover this short overvoltage burst as well.

Enjoy your design work!

I'm still kinda lost though. How do I know if my power strip has a MOV in it or if it is safe to use as an extension outlet strip for my UPS?

What do you mean with "has a MOV in it"? A lightning protection should have no influence on normal supply to your UPS. More important is that it has a proper protective ground if your UPS is using it as well.

MOV - Metal Oxide Varistor. Googling it would yield that a power strip with surge protection (usually with a MOV in it) is not advisable to use with a UPS for some reason. What do you think?

Maybe the degrade in use is the reason for the UPS manufacturer not to recommend it. Here you might find more advise : **broken link removed** .

Thanks for the link but it's not really because of the degradation in use. Here's the official statement from APC and is exactly what I'm referring to:

**broken link removed**.

What do you think?

The statement from APC "This document will explain why APC recommends against the use of any surge protector, power strip or extension cord being plugged into the "output" of any APC Back-UPS and Smart-UPS products" is very clear. On the output of the APC you do not need it and it looks like the UPS control has a problem with addtional protection circuit in the cord extension cable. Maybe you could use the extension cord on the input (which would make sense).

The statement from APC "This document will explain why APC recommends against the use of any surge protector, power strip or extension cord being plugged into the "output" of any APC Back-UPS and Smart-UPS products" is very clear. On the output of the APC you do not need it and it looks like the UPS control has a problem with addtional protection circuit in the cord extension cable. Maybe you could use the extension cord on the input (which would make sense).

Hmmm, I kinda don't need to have the input of the UPS to be plugged in an extension cord since I have enough wall outlets. The reason I want the extension cord plugged in the output of the UPS is because I want the UPS to be the central supply of all my electronics in my room (no worries on overloading it, because it won't). I want the UPS to be the main surge protection for my devices.

So in essence, any surge protected extension cord (with MOV) is really not dangerous to be plugged in the outlets of the UPS?

So in essence, any surge protected extension cord (with MOV) is really not dangerous to be plugged in the outlets of the UPS?
Exactly this question isn't answered by the said "official statement", which is only telling surge protectors "do not efficiently distribute the power". You can however clearly say, that surge protection isn't needed in this place. So why using it?

Exactly this question isn't answered by the said "official statement", which is only telling surge protectors "do not efficiently distribute the power". You can however clearly say, that surge protection isn't needed in this place. So why using it?

What made you say that surge protection is not needed in this place? I don't quite understand your point, sorry.

APC tells the same, the UPS is working as a surge protection itself, because it doesn't allow voltage surges to.

APC tells the same, the UPS is working as a surge protection itself, because it doesn't allow voltage surges to.

Ok, that is exactly my point also. I'm looking for a power strip without surge protection since I read in Google that double surge protection (power strip and UPS) is bad practice and not recommended.

maybe lightning protection is the same as lightning arrester, yes?

I think the best solution will be provided if the type of equipment you plan to use...(i.e.; they equipment you are going to connect to the output of surge protector..) as you mentioned you are using it for centralized power supply, if you use low power equipments i think it will work fine... And if you use high power consuming equipments then there is a chance for malfunctioning of ups...

hello Pinoy....mabuhay...!!!

am I saying the right thing? mabuhay...

anyway a lightning will strike with 1 MILLION AMPERES , how are you going to block that?????????

what they mean by lightning strike would be more likely lightning induced over voltage. Try to do some home work, if you still don't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.