Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lighting 3W power LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

dziubym

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am quite a beginner.
I am building a project in which I want to light up the 3W Power LEDs I bought online.
I tried it with 9v power supply and a step down buck converter going back to 5v throough 330Ohm resistor.
The light is not very bright. I would like to know what is the most optimal way to power LED to get the brightest light but not to fry it. How do I calculate. Do I need a resistor.
The LED I have is
https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/5PCS...594.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.35895c0fRZ4eBl
Any info would be greatly appreciated

Hi,

every LED (generally every electronic device) comes with a datasheet.
It tells you specifications about voltage and current of the LED.

With LEDs you need to know that they should be used in "constant current" mode. Don´t ever connect them to a constant voltage source without proper LED current limiting circuit.

If you can´t get the datasheet, then the source (supplier) of the LED is not reliable.
You can´t be sure that you get an identical LED on next buy.

You just have the chance to do some tests to find out the LED´s operating values:
Assuming the "3W" specification is correct.
* be sure to have correct heatsink for the LED
* you need a variable power supply, a 10 Ohms resistor with >1W power rating and a voltmeter
* 10 Ohms conected in series with the LED, connected to the supply
* slowly increase voltage until LED becomes alight, but not too bright (ensure not to overlaod the LED).
* then measure the voltage across the LED --> V_LED.

Then calculate the expectable current: I_LED = 3W / V_LED

Not to overlaod the LED I recommend to do further calculations/tests with only 80% of the calculated LED current.

Klaus

Klaus,
Thank you for the info. I will do the tests as described.
The LED were bought from China and the datasheet was not provided.
On the other sight for similar LEDs I found
3Watt / White / 6000 K-6500 K / 260LM-280LM / 2 * 30mil chips / 120-140 degree Emitting Angle
Input(DC): 600mA-700mA / 3V-3.4V (Best Match with "Chanzon 600mA Constant Current LED Driver")
But probably datasheet should has much more information

Hi,

Input(DC): 600mA-700mA / 3V-3.4V (Best Match with "Chanzon 600mA Constant Current LED Driver")

... but there are also 3W LEDs specified with about 10V and 300mA.
You can´t be sure.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.