Status
Not open for further replies.

boncker

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does anyone know the tolerance in typical voltages and current of some leds? I'm using a led from Sunled (XLMR01DH) that in normal conditions it drives 20mA @ 1,85V. I put eight leds in series with 14.5Vdc and a current of 20mA. The maximum voltage I found in a led 1.83V and 1.78V in another one.

Is this difference normal in leds?

Re: LED tolerances

I don't know the direct answert to your question about the batch variation of the forward voltage drop. But I know that the forward voltage drop depends on: temperature, current and light falling onto the LED.

this variation is quite normal... you cant expect all the LEDs to have the same parameters... i remember seeing in a video lecture that the ICs or semiconductor device of a particular batch have some amount of parameter mismatch due to little variation in their manufacturing conditions,,... but there will surely be variation among them too,,....

boncker,
This kind of variation is normal. That is why LEDs are usually driven from a current source.
Regards,
Kral

Status
Not open for further replies.