Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Strip Lights - Power/Driver - Please help :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

itsallgood

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I've been a member of this forum since 2002 - and i still cannot work this out. :cry: You think it's time for me to get a new hobby? :roll:

I have purchased 5m of LED strip lights, with the following info...

● View angle:120°
● Working Voltage: 12V AC
● LED Quantity: 300 leds/5 Mete
● Working Current/meter: 0.35-0.4A
● Output power: 20-24W /5 Meter
● Working Temperature:-20 to 50°
● Waterproof
● Luminous Flux: 300-350 Lumens/Meter
● Size: L500cm (5M) x W0.8cm x T0.25cm

I have also purchased these drivers (without really knowing anything - i just saw the "12v" and thought they would be ok...

● LED Driver 12 watts
● Output Voltage (V) 12v DC
● Input Voltage (V) 240V 50/60Hz V
● Power output 0.5 - 12w
● Max Ambient Temp (deg. C) 40 deg. C
● Max Case Temp (deg. C) 80 deg C

Please can you tell me if these drivers are sutible to run my LEDs - and at what length. Could i run the whole 5m on 1 driver? Did i buy the right drivers?

Thanks so much for the help! It's really appreciated :)

ok your strip contains 300leds/5m => 60 leds/1m
the power needed is 4.8 w for the 1m so it makes 24W for the 5m as indicated @12v so the current needed is 0.4A*5 = 2A for the 5m

If the driver is 12W then 12/4.8=2.5 so a 12W can turn on 2.5meters so it is not sufficient for the 5m strip. 12W/12V => it can give a 1A current

hope things are clear now.

Thanks pakitos.

I tried running all 5m from one of those plugs where you can switch the voltage -- set it to 12v and all LEDS lit up.

If i did try and run 5m from the one 12v driver -- would it damage the leds, damage the driver, or just run the LEDS dim?

Thanks again for the help :)

I don't think the led's will be damaged Low current don't damage them but they don't trigger them that is 1 thing

Next the driver can get damaged cos of overload

Sorry for more questions!

So if i had wanted to run the whole 5m from 1 driver -- and the maximum voltage i could have used was 12v -- should i have purchased a driver with 3.3 AMPs??

Using what pakitos worked out for me (thankyou!) -- I would need 2A to run the 5m -- So would it be ok to have a driver with 3.3A - or would it be too much and damage the LEDS

Can there be "spare amps" im asking in a way :)

Yeah true if the op current rating is more than it is required there is No problem as the LED will the required amount of current from the driver

As the load demands a current of 2 Amps the current drawn from the supply will only be 2 amps and not more

the leds will draw the current that it desires so if the power of the supply is higher it won't damage the leds.
there is a minimum current that will turn on a led (dim) so it depends if the current is lower than that it will not turn them on at all.

note if you are using RGB strip then depending on the color the consumption will change.
turning it white you will need max since all 3 leds will be on red green blue
turning it purple is less 2 leds will be on blue and red
turning it red will be lowest

good luck

You have not mentioned what bulbs are used on the strips. If it is 3528 SMD this stip will take arround 1.5 amps current @12 volts for lighting a length of 5 meters. More current will not damage the led's as the present combination of 3 led's and resistors in series is protecting the segments on the strip. You just need to increase the current of the power supply according to the legth you use.
Cheers

That's what they are - 3528 SMD 300.

So my drivers were 0.5A off from being able to run the full 5m. d'oh :(

Recomended rating is 12 volts 2 amps SMPS power supply for 3528 LED's x 3 per segment/60 per meter.
Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back