Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED lamps vs Fluorescent Lamps

Status
Not open for further replies.
i Delhi market i was found , 1 watt Power LED costs INR 27 without heat sink & Heat sink & INR 4.5 ...

i am of the point that you have never seen a person purchasing a 1w led

it is never in that range

- - - Updated - - -

the fact also lies in the reason that led has low power consumption compared to CFLs that makes it more attractive though it is pricy

You can't just say: "LEDs are better than fluorescent" or vice versa, in a generic sense. Modern power LEDs can do >100 lumens/Watt these days, and there's crap in either category. Most LED lamps on the market aren't just LEDs, but LEDs + power conversion circuit. Also it depends a lot on what you're using the lamp for, and what you consider most important. Tool shed / toilet / living room / street lighting / photography all have different requirements deciding what lamp is optimal.

So when comparing lamp types, it's more useful to say which exact type LED lamp you're comparing to which exact type fluorescent lamp. And with what application in mind.

Personally I think good LED lamps are about on par with good fluorescent lamps, but LED technology has more room for future improvement than already mature fluorescent lighting. And LEDs do away with some of the drawbacks of fluorescent lamps. But the long life of LEDs really begs for a separate driver circuit, so you don't need to throw away an expensive / long-lasting power LED when a cheap capacitor fails. :evil:

Environmentally, either LED or CFL is almost always better than incandescent (and probably halogen too). For example, just consider the amount of heavy metals that a coal power plant will put in the atmosphere (even if exhaust gasses are processed / filtered) to power an incandescent bulb over its life. The few milligrams of mercury in a CFL don't come anywhere near that. And that mercury is only a problem if the lamp's materials aren't recycled - which unfortunately is often the case. But that's not a fundamental problem with the technology. For example where I live CFL lamps are recycled, and personally I deliver worn out ones to a designated collection point.

Last edited:
yeah LED in certain cannot replace fluorescent lamps completely but the scope of an LED can be improvised in the future to these areas

in some areas the LED is capable of out witting fluorescent lamps and in future in most of the fields

Dangers of LED Light Bulbs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCuymqz9GXY&feature=related

Danger UV in Compact Florescent Light Bulbs. LED bulb is safer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYiGwZC-pM0

Energy saving light bulbs 'contain cancer causing chemicals'
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/...t-bulbs-contain-cancer-causing-chemicals.html

People often choose wrong LED light color for room or some working environments.

Manufacturers very often throwing with life of products, in life this is drastically less.

CFLs have drastic reduction of luminosity after some time of usage. From my expirience, world best manufacturer of CFL (I dont want to write brand) after one year, luminosity decreases by 30-40%. LEDs also have similar story.

LED unline CFL dont need inverters and such circuits to work. CFL also have weaker physical characteristics on movement, shock and vibrations, they can easely be smahed or broken.

If there is no discovering of some new and better light source, I think that LED will have illuminated road od future development. Primary for now all orbiting around power consuption.

Maybe best solution for environment and usage is incandescent light bulb. For batteries and generators usage certainly not. :grin:

:wink:

Last edited:
LED lamps last much longer than Fluorescent lamps, as much as 10x longer.

LED lamps generate less heat than Fluorescent lamps.

LED lamps emit no Infrared or Ultraviolet radiation while Fluorescent lamps does.

LED lamps can be used in colder temperatures than CFLs. Most CFLs will not turn on or will only emit very low levels of light in the cold.

Cost Comparison

comp.JPG

Feature Comparison

c.JPG

the implications are not said that is the main purpose of using the lamp is not specified so we can't compare and say which is better

Status
Not open for further replies.