Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Led Flash for Macro photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

gvi70000

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I want to build my own flash for macro photography and i have some questions.

1. Do you think is better to have each led controlled by a transistor (2N2222A ?)and with a capacitor attached (470uF tantal)?

2. How can i have a visual indicator(LED) that the capacitors are charged?

Any idea or guidance on this matter is welcomed.

Thank you.

for macro shots , LEDs may be a choice but you should select pure white LED . otherwise your leds may give its own color to the object being photographed.

if you use LEDs , need not have 470uf for each one.

just use appropriate DC supply and turn on LED by a transistor with a pulse.
the pulse for base of transistor should be triggered by the shutter contact.

and you have a choice of varying the pulse duration , if you wish .

You can use an LED photoflash driver such as this: **broken link removed**. You will probably find similar devices at the other analog houses such as Maxim IC, Linear Technology, Analog Devices and Texas Instruments.

Hi,

I've made the flash using 3 rows of leds (24 led's on each row) to control the amount of power - using DIP Switch.
The device can be used as a flash or as a lamp by setting S2.
If used as a flash the trigger command is receive from the camera through the optocoupler
Here are the schematics, what do you think?
Flash.pngFlashCommand.png

You wont get much of a flash from your circuit, the current through the LEDs is going to be quite low, probably in the region of 15mA. If you want a bright flash, use white LEDs as suggested and a driver transistor, preferably a power MOSFET to discharge the capacitor into them.

If you have 3 x 24 LEDs at the moment, are you saying you have a 470 Ohm resistor in series with each LED (72 resistors)? If so, you can dramaticaly reduce component count by using fewer (maybe only one) LED and the transistor driver I suggested.

Brian.

I have 3 cells with 8 rows, each row with 3 led's in series with 1 ohm resistor (only 24 resistors, one at three led's)
Each cell (A, B and C) is connected in parallel with a 3mm led and 470Ohm resistor.

The transistor was replaced by the optocoupler when the device is used as a flash (S2 upper position) and when used as a lamp S2 is in the lower position

That means the LED cuirrent is only about 8mA so they must be quite dim. The opto-coupler is also running at higer current than the manufacturer recommends.
For a flash, running the LEDs at maximum currrent or even a little beyond would be a better solution. You should consider using the opto-isolator to drive a transistor, peferably a MOSFET but a high current bipolar one will work. Remove the 1 Ohm resisotrs as they have no effect and drop all the 470 Ohm resistors down to a lower value so the LED current is at the maximum their manufacturer suggests.

Brian.

With the removal of 1 Ohm resistor i agree but with those of 470..they serve the led indicator.

Status
Not open for further replies.