Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED Dot Matrix Display Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

davyjcrow

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dot matrix display

Hi there,

New to the forum and was wondering if anyone can help out with a project that I am planning.

Using a 5x7 LED matrix I would like to build a circuit that utilises only a 4x5 area of the matrix to display an alphanumeric character. The idea would be to display a single character (specifically 1-9 and A-D) by applying power to a separate lead for each character. I am trying to avoid computer control if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how this could be put together - apologies if this is kind of a basic question but I have never worked with matrices before and thus am unsure as to how they are driven.

Any help much appreciated, davyjcrow

led dot matrix

You can use logic circuits, but it will be really complex and or robust, I will suggest a small microcontroller.

led dot matrix display project

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I thought as much that any logic circuits would be too complicated to implement. Would it be any less complicated if I were to use the full 7 x 5 characters - is there an IC that has this information pre programmed?

Could I also ask what exactly you mean by a microcontroller - do you mean computer connection, or is this a kind of IC?

Regards

David

how to display a character on led matrix

Microcontroller is an IC:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microcontroller

Nowadays there are small controllers you can use for your application, they need to be programmed using a computer, but you mention you are trying to avoid computing stuff.

led matrix display

Thanks for the clarification.

I wouldn't mind connecting a microcontroller to a computer to program it initially, it's just that I wouldn't want to have it permanently connected to the computer during operation as I am already interfacing other hardware from the computer as well.

Could you suggest a site where I can get more information on programming microcontrollers for this kind of application?

Thanks

davyjcrow said:
Hi there,

New to the forum and was wondering if anyone can help out with a project that I am planning.

Using a 5x7 LED matrix I would like to build a circuit that utilises only a 4x5 area of the matrix to display an alphanumeric character. The idea would be to display a single character (specifically 1-9 and A-D) by applying power to a separate lead for each character. I am trying to avoid computer control if possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how this could be put together - apologies if this is kind of a basic question but I have never worked with matrices before and thus am unsure as to how they are driven.

Any help much appreciated, davyjcrow

Status
Not open for further replies.