Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED display using 7-segment

Status
Not open for further replies.

madraky

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to make a display, consisting of six 7-segmets.

The problem is, that I can't choose which type of connection will be better.

There is two ways how can I connect them: connect all 7-segments in parallel, and a deflection to display information (at the one moment only one 7-segment will be working), or I can use registers, that are connected in serial, so to refresh display I just need to send information in serial.

And, I just need an advice, how it will be better.

Serial is better , in case of parallel - all the six seven segment will be multiplexed and you need to to wise to program it to get a desired result, although the programming of multiplexed 7 segments is not difficult, its depends on you , the way you want it to be....

if you have more than 5 7-seg the best is serial.
if you have less than 5 7-seg the best is the parralel (more quick responce, less ICs)

Both options have advantages and disadvantages.

In parallel connection (without Latch IC):
you will save the hardware
but the programming will be little bit complex, as you need to refresh each display faster so as to avoid flickering

In serial connection (using Latch ICs):
hardware will increase
programming will be easier, as you need to select each latch/display and latch the data
by serial connection, you can easily perform other operations in programming. like keypad interface, adc/dac etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back