Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LED color controlling using drop voltage???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elits

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
is it posible to change the color of usuall LED using voltage drop of it self. i mean, can we change the color of LED by changing the voltage that drive it...could u give me some reference...
thanks

Elits

Generally, you won't be able to change LED's colour by changing its forward voltage ..
However, if you use tri-colour LED and connect it as it is shown in this site: Light Energy and Color with LED’s .. **broken link removed**
.. well, see what can happen ..

Regards,
IanP

i think a single LED cannot emit multicolour..further emission of colour depends on its composition...

HI DEAR,

YES IT IS NOT POSSIBLE FOR A SINGLE LIGHT LED TO EMITT THE MULTI COLOUR LIGHT RATHER THAN IT IS ONLY POSSIBLE IF YOU HAVE A MULTI COLOUR LIGHT EMITTING DIODE, THE CHANGE IN VOLTAGE CAN NEVER CHANGE THE LIGHTS COLOUR ITS POSSIBLE TO CHANGE THE INTENSITY OF A LED BUT NOT ITS COLOUR

If you drive more current through a led than recommended its colour will change slightly. Strangely the wavelength increases so a green led will become slighly orange - the change is not large 30 nm maybe.

Warning -you will definitely shorten the life of the device and maybe instantly fry it. Do not have the overcurrent going through for too long leds do not have much in the way of heatsinking.

I did some crazy (read: destructive) experiment by putting high voltage (3~10V) on a green led. Playing with the voltage, I could turn it yellow, and even dim red, before it blew! :D

In short, no, you can not use voltage to change LED color. Leds are not designed for that.

You can make it dimer, but not change color. If you can find a 3-color led (if that exist, like RGB), then you could play with the brightness of each individual colors.

Yes, you can. If you have a bi-color LED you can generate the individual colors and the combination of them. For example LED with red and green color can also generate orange color when it illuminated in both colors simultaneously.

Status
Not open for further replies.