Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

learning camera controller commands

Status
Not open for further replies.

jozee

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have a video camera with a cabled remote which controls the camera iris, colors etc...
I want to learn the command sent by the remote into the camera.
Here is what i did so far:

First try:
1. bought 232Analyzer software
2. cut the remote cable and discover (through manual) the correct data wires (TX+, TX-, RX+, RX-)
3. connected the TX+ and TX- into my serial port [pins 2+ and 5-]
4. set the port settings (which i do not know them) to 9600, 8 databits, none, stop=1
5. turned everything on and start operating the remote.

The results in HEX was only a bunch of FF's, no matter which button i clicked the result was FF.

Second try:

1. bought 422 to 232 adapter
2. bought 485 to 232 adapter
3. tried the test with each adapter

same results, only FF

:(
Here are some images :
SERIAL1.jpg
SERIAL2.jpg

Please help, I'm really stacked

You may need to adjust your baud rate or sampling rate. You will need to look up details of the control type. If it is Sony, it will be LANC (Control-L). I think Panasonic use Control-M?

Thanks for your reply,
I've tried almost every combination of Baudrates, DataBits, StopBits ans parity possible,
I've got the exact same results every time.

What are "Control-L" And "Control-M"?

You may need a null MODEM configuration.

Have you tried tieing the two transmit lines on the PC serial connection together?

No i didnt, What do you mean by that?

The pc serial port ha common ground. ii've tied TX (pin 3) and ground (pin 5), the results are the same :(
is there any possibility that this remote cannot be read by pc port and 232anlyzer?
maybe there is some hidden or unknown data?

In your diagram, you have the +TX and -TX of the serial port connecting to the +RX and -RX on the 422 to 232 converter. I do not see the ground?

Are you using 422 to tap off the camera control.

Have you found out which protocol your camera uses? You will need to read up about the data stream.

what if i dont know the protocol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back