Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

learning c programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

vijayganesh

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi friends,
i m a beginner in c.please help me on which books to refer for learning c programming in depth and mastering it.let me know the links useful for learning c.please reply.
thanks in advance.

vijay

let us c(yashwant kanitkar ) , or balaguruswamy is a good book ..download it from 4shared you might also find turbo c5.5 version compiler their .

For C programming : LET US 'C' [Yashwant kanitkar]
For EMBEDDED 'C' programming : 8051 MAZIDI

In my view you should refer The C programming Language by dennis ritchie ....

refer this -

**broken link removed**

Good Luck

---------- Post added at 10:56 ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 ----------

In my view you should refer The C programming Language by dennis ritchie ....

refer this -

**broken link removed**

Good Luck

Hi Vijay,

I've found "SAMs teach yourself C in 21 days" by Jones and Aitken (to be found on Amazon) absolutely excellent. It is comprehensive, with what I believe is the most recent ANSI standard, C99; very, very clearly written, with plenty of example code, and written in an approachable, good-natured but task-focused style. The discussions of how the language works in practice are great, and it takes the reader from basics (including how memory is laid out) through to sophisticated data structures and manipulations like arrays of pointers to functions. The book comes with a CD containing a desktop C compiler and example code.

This book will tell you how C works, and shows you how a program is compiled in stages, including how external files are included and linked together to help you manage your larger, more extensive programs logically and professionally.

Having taken you so far, your next stage, I would say, is to get a micro controller development system if you are aiming to learn embedded C programming... is this correct? I find the PIC development systems by Mikroelektronika (MikroElektronika - Development tools, Compilers, Books) to be very good. If so, then the C development environment will help you work with "low level" micro controller functions more easily. These include writing to and reading from hardware ports, using interrupts etc. These are core ideas used by embedded software engineers. The SAMS book will have prepared you for this.

I should point out I was a professional embedded C software engineer, writing safety-critical code in the automotive sector for five years. The SAMS book was a good companion even then! Enjoy your journey through the world of C - it's a very powerful and effective way to get chips to do amazing things!

Thanks a lot friends for your timely help & suggestions.

vijay

---------- Post added at 02:39 ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 ----------

Thanks a lot friends for your timely help & suggestions.

vijay

The best book is the bible of C.

Kernighan, Brian W.; Dennis M. Ritchie (February 1978). The C Programming Language (1st ed.). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall. ISBN 0-13-110163-3.

As I have a very extensive technical library, including several hundred texts concerning only C/C++ programming, I could help from posting a few recommendations.

There are many acceptable text concerning C programming, I have found the following to be particular GEMS.

While I agree with xxtigerxx that K&Rs, The C Programming Language, is consider the "Bible" of C. The text can be rather terse and overly brief in its description of the Standard C concepts, particularly for a novice.

I would recommend the following for your first text and general reference:

Stephen Prata's C Primer Plus (5th Edition)

At over 900 pages its descriptions are very intuitive and code examples abundant. The difference between the fourth edition and the third edition are minor, so if the budget is a concern, obtain a copy of a used third edition and keep it on your desk.

Stephen Prata's C Primer Plus (4th Edition)

Prata's book will cover 90% of the requirements to become a proficient C programmer. For the other 10% I would recommend the following two texts:

Don't be mislead by its title, the following text provides not only a comprehensive study of pointers, but a wide range of advanced C programming techniques.

Kenneth Reek's Pointers on C

The following is truly a treasure trove of advanced C programming techniques, not covered by any other text. Unfortunately, it's out-of-print, however if you can find a copy, buy it without hesitation.

John W. Perry's Advanced C Programming by Example

I can't say enough about Perry's text, it really is one of a kind, and covers topics of which only a few old C programming sages possess. It is really a shame to be out-of-print.

BigDog

Dear friend,
thank you very much for your timely help.

regards,
vijay

Hi Vijay,

I've found "SAMs teach yourself C in 21 days" by Jones and Aitken (to be found on Amazon) absolutely excellent.

I am not sure if you are a student or not but my university, Purdue University, actually has this available through the library as an ebook. It is not in PDF form like a lot of the PIC microcontroller books that I am trying to read now but none the less if you are a student you might try and read it online. After I get a bit more done with the PIC microcontrollers I am actually going to read this one, looks interesting and informative.

The best book is the bible of C.

Kernighan, Brian W.; Dennis M. Ritchie (February 1978). The C Programming Language (1st ed.). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall. ISBN 0-13-110163-3.

Kernighan & Ritchie is out of print but I believe it is available free on line for those interested.

Besides recommending books, I recommend (as one of my college professors often did) is that "one must take the cook book and cook!" By all means, do you rstudying but do actual programming as soon as you have some understanding of what to do. It is practice that will make you proficient.

Foggy

Actually, K & R is not out-of-print, you are referring to the first edition.

The second edition (ANSI C) is alive and well:

C Programming Language (2nd Edition)

The first edition covers the legacy K & R C, the second edition covers the more update ANSI C.

BigDog

Actually, K & R is not out-of-print, you are referring to the first edition.

The second edition (ANSI C) is alive and well:

C Programming Language (2nd Edition)

The first edition covers the legacy K & R C, the second edition covers the more update ANSI C.

BigDog

GEEZ, you are correct Big Dog! I thought it was history. Thanks for pointing this out for all to know!!

Foggy

The C programming Language
By Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back