Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Leakage current measurement of this STOP circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

meeyaw

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am currently studying current measurements of circuits when I suddenly got stalled by this block that I am currently studying. Diagrams below are provided below:

Block:
leakage_problem1.JPG

Behavior:
leakage2.JPG

The block intends to be a STOP_CLOCK cell. By the name itself, it will stop CLK_IN whenever STOP goes low, while passing to the output when STOP is high, as you can see in the second image. STOP_EN enables the main STOP cell.

With this type of circuit, how can I measure the leakage current of the whole block? Is it during the STOP is low or the STOP is high?

Thanks,
meeyaw

The term "leakage current" should be used in a static (idle) state of the circuit, otherwise in a dynamic context would depend on the behavior and speed of the signals applied. Anyway, as far as I can see, a bare bloc diagram do no suffice, but the technology/topology which with the circuit was assembled/syntesized, the environment conditions ( supply voltage, temperature ). A stand alone simulation could be done with some spice-like simulator, just computing the average current, I guess.

Reactions: meeyaw

meeyaw

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
... how can I measure the leakage current of the whole block? Is it during the STOP is low or the STOP is high?

In any case I'd measure with STOP_EN low, because this is the static or idle state mentioned by André (above). There are still 4 possible combinations for CLK_IN and STOP. For worst case I'd check all 4 of them. Without knowing the internal circuit you can't decide which of them provides the largest leakage current.

Reactions: meeyaw

meeyaw

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.